Vector 3 play in the pedal body

Hi,

I'm on my third set of vectors (second set of vector 3 pedals) and all three of them have developed play in the pedals after not much use.

For instance my old vector 2s developed a knocking in both pedals after a summer of riding. They were replaced with me paying the difference to get the new 3 model. After around 300 miles the right hand pedal developed lateral play on the spindle. The replacement set have now developed a knocking every pedal stroke after around 20 turbo rides (so less than a month of riding).

I have replaced my cleats on both sets of shoes to no avail, and by trying another set of pedals I've confirmed that the knocking has to be the pedals as it doesn't happen with my look keos.

Ramping up the tension on the retention spring makes no difference.

Has anyone had any problems with this? I've read a lot about the battery cover issues, but seen less about play in the pedal body.

Starting to get a bit fed up. Managed to get years out of me Looks without any issues. In the market for a second power meter to ensure accurate readings across both bikes, but I'm a bit reluctant to get another set of vectors after this.
  • My LBS processed a warranty claim on my behalf, I believe mine went back to Garmin UK via Madison.

• t_smit and aweatherall... I apologize for not posting pictures sooner... I solved my pedal body play, which really wasn't in the pedal body, but the interface between the cleat and the pedal... the clicking noise and sensations disappears once I put on strips of grip tape on the metal middle portion of the body and the front catch portion of the pedal... I'm going to try and insert two pictures... As an aside, once I solved the movement, my power readings have been a bit higher than I remember... maybe because I'm getting fitter... finally, I get about 4-5 rides before the tape wears off and I have to replace it... cheers, Gene

• I have had the same issue.  It was mostly with the left pedal.  Recently, the play had developed into a 'click' on the up-stroke while climbing at low RPM. There was also the occasional chirp from that pedal while riding, like a squeaking gate. it was that loose.  I wrote it off to 25,000 KM of riding.  I've used Look or other cheap after market cleats thinking there is no difference.  Last week, I received my Garmin 0 degree cleat from Garmin, in the Garmin packaging.  To my surprise,  the play is like new now and no more play / click on climbing! I would expect those on this form may find the same result with OEM Garmin 0 degree cleats.  They are not actually 0 degrees - there is still a bit of rotation.

• Well, I seem to have gained some resolution by replacing the pedal bodies... the verdict is still our, but I think you might call and ask for replacement bodies from customer service... best to you...

• You have described my issue exactly. Some are confusing pedal bearing play with play between the cleat and pedal. This is not a cleat/pedal interface issue. I’m also on my third pair of Vector 3 pedals and every set has developed a knocking sound after roughly 3 to 6 months of use. You can feel the play by “wiggling” the spindle vertically on the pedal body, with at least one of the pedals offering just a tad more movement. You can even hear a tiny knocking sound, which amplifies when on the bike. It has been at least two years since the release of these pedals and it is impossible to find replacement bodies anywhere - that tells you something. Garmin support has been very accommodating, replacing my pedals when asked. However, I’m tired of this and just want them to work. I have tried to grease the bearings to submission and it lasts for a few hours only to come back. If anyone has ideas for lasting solutions, I’m all ears.

• Exactly same issue I am facing absolutely useless response from garmin asking me to buy 2 new pedal bodies each totalling £180 

surely this is a warranty issue that they need to sort out like all the others they have done with the battery case

quite frankly fed up with garmin 

I too hear a knocking noise and my cleats pop out and sooner or later I will hurt myself 

garmin you know this is an issue and you should provide replacement pedal bodies for your customers 

• Yep - I have the same issue - the bodies are wearing out fast (mine are 16 months old). The left one (which I clip in and out of most frequently), is especially bad, but on close inspection I can see the right one wearing away in the same area. I'm waiting for a response from Garmin - the materials aren't up to scrath and I expect them to be replaced. See photo below, with the severe wear to the L pedal clearly visible.

• I have the same problem, 0º cleats and aftrer a while , they became loose, now i have to spend 99€ for a new vector body, 2 years of pedals and at least 6 sets of cleats.

• So what is the response after seeing these pictures. I have a severe amount of float on the right side vs the left pedal. New cleats, and no visible excessive wear on either pedal. I noticed that there is a gap between the pedal body that the "jaw" locking mechanism that actually holds the cleat in place. This screw/pin seems to maybe have backed or worn on the inside as it really doesn't seem loose, but there is definitely a difference side to side. 

• Looking at the pictures it would seem that your cleats are not adjusted correctly for your feet. Just saying.