A question of oils

Using mineral oil between the batteries or the batteries and their contacts must surely have the risk of insulating them from each other as mineral oils and baby oils as far as I understand are non conductive so what is the purpose and just where do you put it.
Up to now I don't have problems although I am using the upgraded doors so it has been a case of leave well alone.
  • The purpose is twofold: First, to lubricate the contact points so that it is less likely that microscopic relative movement of the contacts and batteries will induce fretting corrosion. Second, to exclude air from the contact surface so that oxidation of the contact surface is minimized.

A lightweight oil (such as baby oil, mineral oil or a lightweight lubricant such as Tri-Flow) does not have enough viscosity or film strength, especially in a static situation, to prevent electrical contact. Heavy oil or grease is not recommended.

The best method is to use a toothpick or similar small tip applicator, to apply a drop of oil to each of the electrical contact points on the circuit board and on the battery terminals.
  • The purpose is twofold: First, to lubricate the contact points so that it is less likely that microscopic relative movement of the contacts and batteries will induce fretting corrosion. Second, to exclude air from the contact surface so that oxidation of the contact surface is minimized.

A lightweight oil (such as baby oil, mineral oil or a lightweight lubricant such as Tri-Flow) does not have enough viscosity or film strength, especially in a static situation, to prevent electrical contact. Heavy oil or grease is not recommended.

The best method is to use a toothpick or similar small tip applicator, to apply a drop of oil to each of the electrical contact points on the circuit board and on the battery terminals.

Is this now something that Garmin officially recommends or can I expect 100% functionality without the oil?
  • I use a cotton Ear Bud to apply the Baby Oil to the batteries.......
  • We do recommend adding a light drop of oil to the electrical contact points and the batteries as t_smit mentions above for best performance of Vector 3 systems. Please see the article here for details.
  • Has anyone tested some contact grease or contact oil with the vector 3 batteries? Those products should be more suitable for the contact issues than a baby oil.
  • Has anyone tested some contact grease or contact oil with the vector 3 batteries? Those products should be more suitable for the contact issues than a baby oil.

Yes, i use a contact oil and working fawless

•  

"see the article here for details." ---> Where exactly? Could you please be more specific and give exact examples (brands and products)  that Garmin suggest to apply? I have been  having problem with sensor for almost 1 year. I got battery door last July then battery door + board this March/April. I still use LR44 (2 batteries per pedal) and with the new battery board + door is worst than I bought the pedal. Today there were several disconnectons.

May I ask you to either re-direct a someone who could check the .fit file OR share the tool that you use to be able to detect ourself the root cause of missing power data?

This product is not a 50 USD product but would be a premium one and we as CUSTOMERS would expect a premium support. If there is a factory problem then it should be reparied/fixed. Also this should be applied to ALL countries as for example in Hungary we get only 1 (one) year warranty for Vector 3 despite what is on the webpage and despite the webpage reported my Vector 3 is under warranty. 

Also same issue for the head unit Garmin EDGE 1030. Known manufacturing issue with the "halo" problem and it looks like I have to pay for that. In Austria the Garmin support sent a new head unit and asked CUSTOMER to copy date then send the wrong one back. Different country, different quality of support.

I have to mention I got help from the UK garmin but I think this is not the right way, however if you can re-register my devices to UK I'm happy with the further support from the UK.

Many thanks for the help in advance.

• Sorry for digging up a really old post but I came across this post searching for recommended mineral oils and I thought for completeness I would link the missing article from

see the article here for details