Battery Low.......Here we go!

OK So I received the low battery warning last ride. I currently have the new battery doors waiting for my first battery change out. From reading most of the forum threads about the battery issues and the doors which avenue would be the safest to take?

New battery doors with LR44 batteries.
Old battery doors with the CR 1/3N batteries
Or CR 1/3N batteries with new doors.

I guess just pick one and see what happens? So far everything has been good with no dropouts or anything, they have worked great from day one. Only complaint is that at 35 hours I got the low battery warning, WELL below the 120 hours stated. But I have a feeling the CR 1/3N batteries will be much better?
What would you do?
  • New battery doors with LR44. With the old battery doors you were lucky. With them you keep messing with the insulation strips. They will fail eventually. You can use the old battery doors with the cr1/3n battery. That is what I am doing now. New battery doors still on my desk. Will use them when the cr1/3n give me a low battery warning,
  • Keep using the existing batteries until you get the low warning just after you start your head unit then change them for the next ride. I got another 30 hours usage after the initial warning.
  • Yeah right now just receive the low bat warning after the ride is over. Each ride during the week is a little over an hour, with one longer on the weekends. Will keep using them until what you said boboones.
    Thanks for the replies.
  • You do risk voiding your warranty if you use the cr1's , I have been riding on mine with three weeks of warnings and still going, I have the means to see what the battery voltage is after each ride so I have a good idea when I will need to change them, I am currently on 109 hours on my Vector 3s and I just changed my Vector 3 dual at 114 hours. The key to the LR44's is you have to make sure they are not cheap knock offs I would only get around 40 hours out of the fake batteries.

• I would only get 20 - 25 hours using the Energizer LR44s. Switched to the single Duracell Lithium CR1. First set over 100 hours. Now on second CR1. Used them with old doors and now with new doors. No difference from what I can tell.
  • You do risk voiding your warranty if you use the cr1's , I have been riding on mine with three weeks of warnings and still going, I have the means to see what the battery voltage is after each ride so I have a good idea when I will need to change them, I am currently on 109 hours on my Vector 3s and I just changed my Vector 3 dual at 114 hours. The key to the LR44's is you have to make sure they are not cheap knock offs I would only get around 40 hours out of the fake batteries.

Hi Bloom, what program are you using to see the bat voltage? Are you reading the .fit file?
    The link you posted in my other thread to the Digikey batteries. Are those the ones you are using to get the 100+ hours out of? That is what I ordered.

Thanks.
  • Hi Bloom, what program are you using to see the bat voltage? Are you reading the .fit file?
    The link you posted in my other thread to the Digikey batteries. Are those the ones you are using to get the 100+ hours out of? That is what I ordered.

Thanks.

aawhyte,

I use Fit File Repair Tool, Mathias the developer in his last version added the ability to view the starting and ending battery voltage. The pedals will power off when the voltage drops to 2.35v I am at 2.51v after 3 weeks of riding and receiving the low battery warning.

They report low at 2.60v
  • Or with fitdump.pl

fitdump.pl -print_json=1 2019-06-12-07-56-31_2019_06_12_07_56_31.fit | jq  '[.file[].records[] | select(.device_info.garmin_product == 2787) | .device_info | {"time":.timestamp, "batt":.battery_voltage}]'
    [
      {
        "time": "2019-06-12T07:56:31",
        "batt": 2.66
      },
      {
        "time": "2019-06-12T09:03:33",
        "batt": 2.64
      }
    ]

• New to the Vector 3 pedals. My first set of batteries didn't last long at all! 2-3 rides over 2 weeks = 8-10 hours. 

After looking around I eventually found a golden snippet saying to remove the Bluetooth pairing from your phone to stop the pedals waking up every time the phone was near. The second set of batteries have now been in for a couple of months and are still reporting good after each activity in Garmin Connect (web).