Dropouts continue with new doors (and new batteries)

I believe I am still getting dropouts on almost every ride with the vector 3. This occurs less on the turbo (kickR). My battery life is also poor - around 40-50hr each set, I am using LR44 (Varta).
I do not have the pedals connected to GCM. Right sensor missing is less frequent since changing the doors, as is the apparently spurious low battery warning, still getting the odd spike too but less impressive. Low ambient temperature is not the reason ( we have been having a summer heatwave for once) Can I send in some fit files for analysis? I have followed all of the instructions from the service document. Andy
  • andydowns, reach out to our support team and we will investigate what is going on with your set. You can PM me with your .fit files if you like.
  • Shawn, thanks, would you prefer I reach out to support now or after you have had the chance to review the fit files? I have sent you a drop box link via PM.
  • I have just got a low battery warning after 48 hours use of my new Vector 3 pedals. These where replace in June 2018, these new ones had the new battery door upgrade.

Is the battery life expectancy now circa 50 hours?
    Has the original problem really been fixed.
  • Read some of the other threads about batteries.

The low battery warning comes at 2.60v but the pedals can work down to around 2.45v

The supplied LR44 batteries seem to dip to 2.60v after 35-50 hours and generate a warning, but there may be another 10-20 hours use out of them. I recommend planning to switch batteries once the low voltage warning appears right at the start of a ride rather than changing them as soon as you get the warning.

SR44 batteries reportedly have better life expectancy LR44, but I haven't tried these yet.

I am currently using cheap CR1/3N batteries and have had over 80 hours of faultless use and the reported voltage has never been lower than 2.83v, and usually recovers back to 2.90v so I am expecting these to last well beyond 120 hours. Another user on here has reported over 170 hours from his CR1/3Ns. BTW, I bought 6 of these CR1/3Ns for £9 so they are not necessarily an expensive option.
  • it would be good to get Garmin's view on this, I thought the batteries are supposed to last 200 hours. 50 hours is not within acceptable tolerances.

The CR1/3N seem a good option as there isn't two cells to rub together etc but can Garmin comment on their use and if there is any issues using them.
  • My understanding is that they don't support the use of the CR1\N3 batteries as (from memory) improper use can damage the pedals , I took this to mean inserting them with the wrong polarity, presumably something do with internal resistance of the cells.
    elsewhere on the forum the garmin guys (sorry for the sexism) have stated the low battery warning occurs about 15 hours before failure and that energizer SR44 performed the best of the batteries they tested.
  • andydowns is correct. Our testing during the development of the Vector 3 system was done using LR44/SR44 batteries that ship with the product. The use of CR1/3N batteries would be at the users own risk. Any issues that would arise as a result of using the CR1/3N cells could void your warranty. With the latest software installed and using the new battery doors, there shouldn’t be any reason not to use the batteries we spec for Vector 3. These batteries are also more redily available.
  • OK garmin, what is the specified run time for new vector 3 using sr44 or lr44 ?
  • Same here, on my indoor workout yesterday.
    New doors, full charged batteries (measure with a multimeter and reported as full over ant+ channel to my fr935.)

2 drops before the 20min off workout.

It’s hard to trust on the data reported by vector if I did not perceive a stable functioning.

there is the link from my workout:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2936005191
  • Perhaps I have been forgotten, Shawn, having sent you a selection of Fit files via PM on the 15th August, you confirmed that dropouts were seen, you indicated you would check with the vector team and get back to me. I have heard nothing further, perhaps you are away hence the reason for reposting here rather than follow up with further PMs. I don't seem to be able to tag shawn-garmin in it gives me a parsing error.