Vector 3 - battery consumption reports

So I wanted to share my battery experience with V3. Not that I want to complain or anything. It's just a finding...

Installed my V3 29/11 and today E1030 mesaged me "low power in pedals".

This is exactly 60 hours 23 minutes of training on my Indoor bike. This half of what is claimed (120 hours).

Cycling dynamics was OFF 90% of all time. Torque measurement is ON all time.

Let us see what a fresh pair of batteries will do (Duracell LR 44). Cycling dynamics will be OFF all time. Torque measurement is ON all time.
  • Last set of batteries we gen 2 covers got 65 hours.  1st set of batteries for V3 lasted 7 hours before low battery warning.   2nd set lasted 10 hours. I got out a multimeter and found the left pedal battery voltages were 1.29V and the right were 1.59V. The previous batteries I removed were 1.281/1.287V on left and 1.590 for both on right. l cleaned the terminals and put the old right batteries on the right side and fresh (1.642/1.643V) batteries on the left. We shall see if maybe I have an issue on the left side or if I may have put weak batteries on the left.  I keep my spare batteries in the freezer.

• My final set of batteries with the gen 2 battery cover lasted 65 hours.  I got around to installing the gen 3 covers and the 1st set of batteries for V3 lasted 7 hours before low battery warning.  2nd set lasted 10 hours. I got out a multimeter and found the left pedal battery voltages were 1.294/1.287V and the right were 1.591/1.590V. The previous batteries I removed were 1.281/1.287V on left and 1.590V for both on the right. I cleaned the terminals and put the old right batteries back on the right side and fresh (1.642/1.643V) batteries on the left. We shall see if maybe I have an issue on the left side or if I may have put weak batteries on the left.  I store my spare batteries in the freezer.  I have been using Energizer 357 batteries.  Rides have all been indoors, and pedals are connected to an Edge 1030.

• Did you buy the batteries from a reputable supplier that has plenty of turnover so the batteries are fresh. Worst mistake i made was to buy some from the internet that didn’t last long and turned out to be fake. If they are cheap there is a reason. I store mine at room temperature and they are fine. 
    Nick

• I bought them at a local Walmart or Walgreens.  Not sure which, as I have bought from both.  I'm going to be keeping track of the voltage for my new batteries from now on and the voltage of the used ones.

• Should be ok.

I get about 140 to 150hrs but I use Duracell 1/3N batteries which are Lithium rather than the LR44.

Nick

• Lithium primary cells have very low self-discharge and thus very long shelf life. And they come with an “expiration” or “best-by” date. At least the name brands (non-counterfeit) do.

E.g., in early Aug this year (2020), I restocked my 1/3N cells. Every one bore the “best before” date of Mar, 2029.

So, yeah, counterfeit cells will likely die young. But the real thing last literally years and years on the shelf. I can’t imagine a reputable distributor or reseller that would maintain inventory for the better part of a decade.

That’s why I stock up rather than buy strictly as-needed.

• The big Varta CR1/3N are the Hammer, more then a half year to replace the batteries and never had a prob during my rides with them! 

• I put new Maxell LR44's into my Vector 3 pedals in November, 2020.  I upgraded the battery doors at that time.  Cycling dynamics is always on. 

I rode a bit over 34 hours with them before the bike went for a checkup.  The local bike shop is quite busy, so I only got the bike back this February.  I rode another 52+ hours, including 9 - 10 hours after the first low battery warning, for a total of 87 hours.  That's the best I've done on these pedals so far.

I still have more than 30 of this batch of LR44 batteries left, so I won't be able to try the high capacity batteries for a while.