This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Camera Lens Protection

Former Member
Former Member

I'm on the fence with this one.  It checks the boxes for battery life (enough to do a century).  All in all this device seems very convenient for having 3 things in 1.  I'm trying to weigh if it makes sense for my situation.

--Has anyone found a good way of protection a camera lens on this type of device on the back of a seat post?  I ride a LOT of gravel in national forests and fully expect sand and stones to hit this thing.  My varia 510 tends to be covered in dirt and grit after 1/2 of my rides.  I'm not sure that helicopter tape would work for that? (  Does anyone know if it protects for impact?  It would be fine for scratches).  Then again I've not confirmed if helicopter tape would harm the image quality. 

*EDIT* I've gone ahead and ordered mine.  However if anybody comes up with ideas for a camera lens protector for rocks, I'd love to hear them.

• Just get a small piece of 3M film, like that used for auto bras, or even iPhone screens. problem solved.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to DeanWette

Thanks - I've got a role of it that I've used for crank arms to prevent rubbing the finish.  I think it would work great for scratches.  I'm just not so sure about anything that might crack the lens.  I may be overthinking it; perhaps the gravel won't be flying all the way toward the seat post anyway.  

• I have over 3k miles of gravel on my Warbird and it hasn’t chipped the paint. I will use the Varia on that and don’t think I’m worried about the lens, I used a Cycliq Fly 6 for the whole 3k miles and the lens on that didn’t get damaged.

• I've used some helicopter tape cut to shape and stuck over the lense and light part. Then used a heat gun to make it form to the contours 

• Use protection film for 19mm watch. It works very well.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to 1394078

Thanks for this idea!  I think 19mm would be good.  I just installed a 20mm Brotect HD-Clear watch protector and it fits PERFECTLY.  19mm might leave a bit more wiggle room for installation because 20 does not leave any room (and the sides can come up a bit if you press hard on it). - not an issue tho as it seems to stay sealed otherwise.  

The good part of this one - It will come off easily if it gets scratched.  

I might look for a hydrophobic spray to give it that little bit of extra slickness if water or mud is on it.