This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Decreasing power reported by Rally XC200

I'm using the Garmin Rally XC200 for four weeks now. I calibrate the pedals before every ride. I do it as the last step before starting to ride, when I'm already outside.

On Monday I rode the same route as the first time using the pedals a month ago. I could compare the power on the same segments, in very similar conditions. At the same speed and over the same time the pedals measured 65-80 watts less than four weeks ago.

Here's some data from one of Strava's segments on the route:

Segment

I'm starting to have doubts about the reliability of the measurement. Any advice?

• Yes, I agree. I’ve been riding with power since 2002 and you can tell if there’s a major problem. I’ve owned Powertaps, Quark, these XC200’s. I just got the 4iiii dual, but I think I like a simple spider based PM like Quark. What are you using now?

Thanks JP

• For me, it really boiled down to installing the pedals at 34-35 Nm. In the past year, I have swapped them multiple times between a trainer bike, a road bike, and a gravel bike, always installing them with a torque wrench. The power numbers were always correct. I find it a bit hard though, that you need a proper tool for the pedals to work. Especially that one can't use a hex key for installation. I ended up buying a special crow foot extension to be able to properly install them with a torque wrench.

So when it comes to power numbers, I cannot complain. The pedals seem very reliable and I never experienced any dropouts.

I do have a different problem with XC200: squeaking. I cannot eliminate the annoying squeak coming from the right pedal. It doesn't matter which side I'm clipped in. It doesn't matter which shoes I use (tried 3 different pairs of Shimanos and one Giro). It doesn't matter whether I use Shimano or Garmin cleats. It's making my life miserable, especially during climbs when I try to focus on breathing and putting out power. Garmin exchanged my pedals already twice but I might switch to a crank-based power meter just to eliminate the annoying squeak.

• Thank you for the reply. I do use a torque wrench. I guess some just have this issue.  Yes, my right pedal squeaks too. The cleats are loose in the horizontal plane. When Pulling horizontally at 6 o’clock and pushing horizontally at the 12 o’clock you can feel the cleat move or slide a bit, it will also “click” a bit. That’s what’s causing the squeak I think. Garmin sent me new cleats but it didn’t change anything.  I have the 4iiii dual because I’m somehow interested in the L/R info. They have mixed reviews. I’ll let you know how it goes so you don’t waste money. I think in the end, I’ll be back on a Quark.  

• I also have that squeaking, spray on lube fixed it. Re-apply when the squeaking returns.

• Good for you. I tested a couple different lubes, including teflon-based that Garmin suggests. They all work for about 20-30 km and then we're back to squeaking. Not really helpful for longer distances.

• Has this improved at all, in the past year? I've just opened a box of Rally XC200 and (having read the posts here) I am having reservations already!

• In spite of my experience, and everyone else here, I would say go for it. Based on the sheer volume of pedals sold, it’s probably just a case of a few bad ones here and there. If they were all bad, these posts would be never ending, filled with hundreds and hundreds of problems from hundreds of hundreds of people.  

• Go for it! Maybe yours won't squeak. For me, the squeaking was unbearable and I decided to finally return the pedals.

• Yes, I got a full refund from the shop.