This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Explore cycle GPS quarter-turn mounting tabs breaking.

I have been a Garmin cycle GPS user for nearly 10 years. My previous Edge 800 was only disposed of after 8 years when deteriorating battery life became a nuisance. Otherwise it was robust and faultless throughout its life.

I replaced it with an Explore model.

After 13 months one of the mounting tabs peeled away. The unit had never suffered any damage or impact and has been mounted on genuine Garmin fixtures. Garmin agreed to replace my unit with a reconditioned item. The serial higher number of this replacement would indicate it was a younger item. After a further 3 months one of the mounting tabs on this replacement has peeled away. Garmin has again agreed to replace the unit under its 2 year guarantee.

I have questioned that these tabs appear not to be sufficiently robust for the larger Garmin models, given my faultless experience with the lighter Edge 800.

Garmin advise that breakages of these tabs on the Explore is not a known problem. Other forums, blogs, and a market awash with aftermarket fixes would appear to contradict this?

It would be a long stretch of the imagination to consider that I have been unlucky - TWICE to an issue Garmin advise is otherwise not on their radar?

Do others have similar experience of mounting tabs on the Explore breaking under normal use in an unreasonably short time (I would consider that you might expect the unit to last 5 years and there is no indication that the mounting post is a serviceable item) that might enlighten Garmin to an issue?

• I've been using my Edge Explore since June 2019 and it shows no signs of damage or wear.

• Have to say with all the problems I've had with the Explore, I've been spared this one. Tabs look great on my unit.. 

• Hi Larkus,

Annoying the same issue keeps popping up with your Explore.

It might be worth checking the mount itself is not causing any stress to the tabs of the Explore, since:

- it seems not to be a common problem with this unit - my unit with a history of 26K km (16 K miles) has no visible damage at the mounting tabs.

- it is your second unit showing the same physical damage - what are the odds both units have a factory default?

• There was a forum blog on this same issue on the 1030's a couple of years ago until Garmin locked the discussion.    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-1030/224835/broken-mount-tab-on-1030          I imagine the replacement I received may have already been weakened. When you send a unit in on a warranty issue you do not get your own back. Instead you receive a previously serviced item from stock that could well have been returned for an unrelated, and also undisclosed, issue. 

There are numerous blogs elsewhere on these tabs breaking, and not just on Garmin's. Often the exact model in not specified, and often the cause is clear such as tangling with the undergrowth off-road. My original Explore tabs broke for no apparent reason - that is why we have warranties because occasionally new goods can be faulty. And maybe the replacement had previously suffered impact damage like a broken screen? That could also have likely weakened the tabs. Maybe as the 1030 blog was suggesting before it got locked the mount employed is now simply struggling with the weightier units?