This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Worth Installing Version 5.4?

Still on version 5.1 as I reverted from 5.3 after aberrant behaviour and abysmal performance. Does 5.4 constitute a noticeable improvement?

• I'll answer my own question: No. I upgraded to 5.4. Two rides, each about 120KM, and the Explore required a reboot midway through each when the screen froze with visual artefacts on one and wouldn't turn on on the other after it went to sleep (on battery saver mode).

All extra features and connectivity disabled except for navigation--that's the only function I use on the unit--and I still can't get through the day without a crash and reboot.

• I decided to take the risk today & upgrade my Explore to firmware vs 5.40.
    Bad idea.
    Those who use the remote control will probably know that the change from 5.10 to 5.20 introduced a fault with the pairing.
    I & others pointed this out, both on this forum & to Garmin themselves. Sadly, the fault was not rectified in version 5.30 so I remained with 5.10.
    After a long hiatus, I'd given up hoping for new firmware & was delighted to see 5.40 issued a few weeks ago. Surely this must incorporate the fix?
    No.
    So as the remote is important to me I have just had to go through the whole tedious process of migrating back to firmware 5.10 again.

In the faint hope that there might be a further update & that maybe Garmin software developers read this forum, let me just summarise the problem again-

The change from 5.10 to 5.20 introduced a fault whereby, after the Explore had been in standby or powered down, it would no longer respond to the remote.
    There are several options to restore the remote pairing-
    If you are in the middle of recording a ride, stop it, then save or discard it. The remote will then be available again.
    If you are not recording a ride, start recording, then stop, save or discard, the remote will then be available.
    If you are recording a ride, you probably don't want to stop & save it yet so the procedure then is to go into 'settings', 'sensors', disable then re-enable the remote. The remote will then work again (until after the next s/by or power down).

• linguine, thank you for sharing your experience!

I didn't update my Edge firmware to v5.40 yet because almost every new version in the past introduced new issues. It doesn't look different this time with v5.40.

• Hi folks,

I didn't update my explore fo a long time. But 2 weeks ago i updated. And to be honest: it's phantastic! Since several rides no stability issues! 

And now the explore has a ton of new functions:

- Next turn indication on top of the map, even if it is far away (even with the road name)
    - Automatic map scale change during ride
    - Reasonable fast rerouting
    - Day und night layout
    - Works very good with Komoot: plan mode and upload to accomplished rides

I didn't expect to receive a substantial update at all!