This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My Edge Explore refuses to navigate.

I have owned my Edge Explorer for nearly three years. I have a number of courses on it. Suddenly, this year, when I start riding a course, the instructions--turn right in 50 meters, etc.--do not appear. In two recent rides, they appeared once each, then stopped. I can navigate by opening up the map within the course menu--it shows the course, where I am, and what direction I am pointing in. It is not so good when there is s tricky turn to make, however. I have spoken to two Garmin representatives and they haven't been able to help me. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Something similar happened to me when on firmware 5.3. I'd activate a saved course, start riding, and the turn-by-turn navigation prompts would stop after the first one, although the my progress on the map screen would update as I rode along. What I ended up doing was re-installing the firmware. 

After that the Explore behaved normally. That is, navigation prompts would appear at correct times but the unit would still regularly require reboots after freezes or crashes (while riding).

• @3353893 Never had this issue, nor with 5.3 or 5.4. My guess is the quality of the preloaded tracks / routes being converted to courses. This conversion process uses the map data of the activated routable map, so if there are mismatches between the track/route and the map this may be the cause of the issue you describe.

If you let the Explore itself calculate a Course to a known destination using "Where To?" (address, POI, etc.) you should get TBT-instructions. Do you? If this behaves normal there is reason to check your courses / maps.

I nearly don't dare to ask, but did you check the Turn Instructions being set to ON (Menu / Courses / Saved Courses / Hamburger menu (bottom richt) / Turn Guidance ON ?

• Yes, TBT guidance was enabled and configured correctly. I suspect firmware corruption as TBT guidance was previously working on the same courses where it subsequently refused to. The saved courses weren't created on the unit itself but through Garmin Connect, then sent to the device, so no third party processing was involved. I haven't incurred this particular problem before or since so hopefully it was an anomaly.