This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Install Europe routable maps on North America 830

Read an article from DC Rainmaker about adding OSM maps to Edge 830. The link to that server is no longer workable. I found another link  https://extract.bbbike.org/   Open that one up (Format tab) and there are about 20 choices for maps that all start with Garmin which one to choose?  I will stay paved roads as much as possible Any help?

• Is it for cycling / hiking? Choose one of the Openfietsmap or Cycle formats. I've used Openfietsmap Full with good success for cycling.

Is it for general use: Choose Garmin OSM or Garmin Onroad.

In any case take the (latin1) taste

The download from bbike.org is a .zip archive containing a gmapsupp.img file. Extract this file from the archive and rename it to an arbitrary specific name for your map, for example myplace-1.img and copy that file to the device in folder ..\Garmin. Check only one routing map as active beside the Worldwide Basemap (NR).

You can allways experiment which format suits you best. The routing settings in the Explore can help you to let the device choose the road types you prefer while creating courses on the device. If you use tracks or routes from external sources (the Ede Explore will convert them to courses), the on-device routing settings have no influence because the built-in Garmin course converter uses its own routing rules (with sometimes less optimal results).

PS. You are in the Edge Explore section of the forum. There is also a section for the 830, so better ask your questions there.