This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Erratic Speed Reading

The speed on my edge explore has started showing random speeds and is constantly changing. Only started yesterday after 3 months of perfect working. Any ideas why?

• If you have a speed sensor check battery and if it has one, also the magnet alignment. If the speed sensor is not working properly the speed on your device jumps between the flaky sensor speed and gps the speed. Normally the sensor speed has preference above gps speed.

As a test you can disable gps - the speed reading will come only from the sensor. You can see then if it works ok. The other way around, disable (or remove) the speed sensor - the speed reading will come from the gps signal and should be accurate and stable as long as the gps signal is not disturbed. In this way you may be able to find a cause of the speed instability you refer to.

• Hello,

Thanks for your response. I don't have any separate sensors, just the unit itself.

I know it connects to the GPS as it gives me warnings about bends etc and tracks my mileage and average speed. The speed just keeps fluctuating. 

Thanks

• It is normal for the Edge Explore. I tested side by side with Garmin forerunner 35 watch. The watch shows stable speed, while the Explore shows and logs erratic jumpy (too low) speeds. I think ithe problem is not the gps itself but the calculation by the device . On average with the explore it became obvious when comparing the average speed (based on time and distance) with the continuous measurements....they didn't match up. 

So either use a sports watch for gps, or any additional gps.

The Edge Explore can solely be used for navigation and even that is problematic when riding coarses. You decide.