This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery life very poor and device often crashes when using battery savings mode

The battery of my Explorer is down 50% after only 3h of riding. It's completely onreliable for trips of over 6h. I tried using the battery saving mode, but the device then often crashed and all data was gone. This happened more than once, so I don't trust the saving mode anymore. I then bought an external battery pack (that I thus had to drag along with me), but when you charge your device during the ride, it can also suddenly crash and reset all data. Very very disappointing...

• The device is good. I like the screen and all features it has. However, the battery and save mode software are a dissaster who make the device unreliable. Having a unreliable device while out on a road you don't know is definitely something I don't want. That having said, the device is not satisfactory as it is right now.

• I had exactly the same problem with mine, garmin replaced it with an exchange and that had even worse battery life so I paid the extra and had the 830. The 1030 was on offer at Wiggle for £299 at Easter. Would have bought one but the Mrs wants a water feature in the garden, pump, armoured cable, waterblade, 3 oak sleepers, reservoir etc it's about £600 gone!! Rolling eyes

• Water feature?! That's called rain. Perhaps you can convince your better half the 1030 is a controller for all her incoming hydraulics, mounting it conspicuously in the vicinity of her aquatic excess and temporarily removing it (to recharge ;-) for rides.

• I went cycling a couple weekends back and turned on battery saver mode. After about 6-7 hours I had 10% battery left. A friend who had an Edge 530 without battery saver mode turned on had only used about 25% in the same time. I also had screen freezes whilst notifications were turned on.

I've returned it now and deciding if I'll get a 530 or maybe a Wahoo Roam.

• Hi.. did you get some solution for this? I have same issue and is really annoying..thanks

• I exchanged my Edge 800 for the the Explore version about six months ago. I have experienced all the problems expressed below. Yesterday with the heart monitor and navigation options turned off and a fully charged Eexplore the system suggested I needed to go into save battery mode after 2.5 hours of riding. I don't trust the Explore - I made a mistake replacing my Edge 800.

• I had the same issue, Garmin sent me a replacement and that was even worse so I paid the extra and had the 830 which is loads better. I've still got my 800 and still use it occasionally. Got a brand new 800 still in the box if you're interested?

• Maybe worth reading somewhat back in this thread about similar issues with battery life AND a possible solution. Battery itself may be allright, but the battery level indicator needs a reset...

• ThanksPhil - I will contact  Garmin re an upgrade to an 830.

• 6 hour battery life is real battery use when backlight is on. People can write what they want, but the device cannot be used for much more than 6 hours trips without recharging. Along with bad coarse navigation and inaccurate speed measurement while driving makes this device maybe useful for old people who don't care about accuracy ;-)

This device performs below its cheap price. Period.

It is not crap, but don't see it like a professional device....more like a toy.