This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Touring - new to Garmin - quirks - route calculation failed

Hi,

I have just got a Edge Touring (sorry could find a forum for the Touring)

As I am new to it, it might be just I am not using it in the best way :)

Several times now whilst following a route I have got the error message "route calculation failed"

At the moment I am only using it on local rides that I know, I thought it was failing because I had taken a slightly different route to the one I uploaded.  

But this morning I was on a new route, which I did not know well and so was sticking to the route.

It did it again, I stopped,  started the route again and let it do its calculation. However within a few mins it stopped again?

I had saved my home address in there, what did work well was it found my way home :)

At the moment I would be be confident to use it in an area I don't know. 

My rides are planed on my pc and exported as a gpx file.

The Unit is then connected to my pc and the ride file copied into Garmin - new file folder.

The times it has stopped working  I have not noticed any particular thing just before it packs up.

Sometimes it just stops, today the route guidance stopped, but the route was still displayed on the map.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas, as I really like the unit and the way it works, but I do need to be confident its not going to let me down if I am leading a ride.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Alex   

• It seemed to help mine after I turned off the auto re route function (as someone said above), what I then noted was it did ask a few times did I want to re route, for no particular reason, I just cancelled it and it kept working.

Possibly you had the setting of 'Recalculation' at "Prompted". You could try to set it "Off".

• Hi,

I decided not to start deleting files off the unit, to make it upload to the sd card, in case I got it into a bit of a mess.

So I thought I would update in the normal way via the unit.

So I deleted the files on the sd card, inserted the blank sd card into the unit and connect to Garmin express.

But when I did I got the message below, which cant be right as the card is blank?

Sorry, if I am being a bit thick :)

• Just choose Map Details - Map Options - Reinstall Map

• Hi, now you pointed that out it is obvious Slight smile

It all updated fine, so thanks.

As I have updated via the unit its self, I guess I do not need to delete any of maps off the unit to have it work correctly?

I have turned off the auto route, so I hope its all a bit more stable now.

Thanks for your help and guidance. 

• If it works correctly don't change things.

Enjoy your cycling Slight smile

• Appreciate this is an older string but thanks to your advice @bikepc01 I took a look at what maps were present on my Edge Touring which started to fail on following a saved course and display "Route Calculation Error", typically after repeatedly advising me to join the road I was already on, as well as, anecdotally, seeming to take forever to load maps on start-up (all this most likely started after the 2020 or 2021 map update).

So, I found that there were 2-3 different iterations of 2 EU regions... a hangover from 2 Garmin map updates which clearly didn't complete correctly (quel surprise!) - in total about 9Gb of redundant map files on the SD card. Basically, I kept the files on the SD card dated December 8 (my last map update) and moved all the older files to a safe place.

Having removed these apparently redundant files last night I  went for a 30 mile saved course ride today - everything back to normal, TBT guidance as it used to happen. For now, a happy bunny!

• A very useful program that may help in situations like you described is JaVaWa Device Manager (JDM). The Edge Touring (Plus) and Edge Explore are supported too. There is a Windows and Apple (32-bit) version. See: https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

It analyses all installed maps, indicates map conflicts, let you delete (obsolete) maps, etc.