This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uploading gpx maps - not all maps appear in saved courses

I just bought a Garmin Edge Explore. After uploading my existing gpx files into the device, I noticed the elevation data didn't transfer properly into the device so I remade the maps in Garmin Connect. I managed to upload two maps into the Edge Explore, but two others refuse to appear in the Saved Courses segment. I have tried to transfer them through synching with the Garmin Connect Mobile app, I have tried uploading them through Garmin Express and Garmin Connect on the computer, and by downloading the gpx files from Garmin Connect and copy/pasting them into the NewFiles folder on the device. None of these operations worked. 

I have a few questions about this problem:

1. The two courses I did manage to upload both start at my current location, while the others start at places further away. Could this be related to the problem?

2. I have a Windows 7 computer. Is this a problem?

3. Does Garmin have a customer service chat/hotline/e-mail address where I can go with my problem?

Thanks!

• My workflow for importing a GPX file to the Edge Explore is to : sign into connect.garmin.com, go to Training then Courses, and click on the "import" button (it's small and at the bottom-right of the "Courses created by you window").  Once you've Selected the type of course and imported the GPX file, you'll see the map with your course and also the elevation data. Then don't forget to "send to device".

The courses you already imported should all be visible on the connect.garmin.com web site. Is that the case ?

Using Windows 7 with Chrome or Firefox should be no problem (but don't use Internet Explorer)

• Hey, I did the same, used Garmin Connect where all the courses are listed, and when I hit the 'send to device' button Garmin Express opens and syncs the device. However, after ejecting the device I cannot find the courses back in my 'Saved Courses' menu on the device itself - very frustrating.

• Remember that 100 is the max number of Courses the Explore can handle. Imported gpx tracks/routes from Newfiles are deleted from there, but never appear in the Courses list. Just what you describe... Is this what may happen?

PS. What do you mean with "Uploading GPX maps"? I think the term 'maps' is wrong here.

• You are loading "courses" or "routes". Not "maps".

Where the course starts doesn't matter.

Windows 7 doesn't matter (why you are still using 7 anyway is another thing). The Explore is just a USB drive to Windows.

How many courses do you have on the device? Look at \Garmin\Courses in Windows. 

You should have no more than 100. You can only have 200 activities too. The devices are not meant as places to keep files permanently.

Note that the course names have to be distinct in the first 15 characters.

• Yup, I meant courses.

Anyway, there are definitely not yet a 100 courses in the device. I just bought it, I was trying to upload the first four, and only two made it into the device. However, having tried yesterday on my girlfriend's newer computer, all the courses did get on the Explore. So I guess it's a problem with my computer. However, the courses I got on the device all seem to start about 200 meters away from the starting point I assigned them in Garmin Connect.

Also, fyi, I still use Windows 7 because I believe in the laters versions of Windows, the Office licence becomes limited in time, and you basically have to pay each year to be able to use it.

• I don't think the problem is with your computer.

This is a basic process of downloading and copying files.

It doesn't matter but it is a bit unusual that you are not using FIT files.

Can you provide a link to one of the courses that was a problem?

=================

No, the version of Windows doesn't change how Office licences work.

That depends on the version of Office. The latest versions of Office have a subscription based licence (on whatever version of Windows).

Old versions of Office work fine on Windows 10.

If you have the product key, you can download old versions from Microsoft.

• I'm having this same problem. Sometimes the courses upload to my Garmin Edge Explore when I sync through Garmin Connect, sometimes they don't. It's driving me mad - preventing me from going out on rides because I don't have a good course on there, and I now haven't been able to get new courses on it for a week.

• Hey, I think with me the problem was that my computer was just too old, and there were compatibility problems with the USB drivers or something (I don't know, I am in no way a computer expert but it always looks good to venture a guess). Anyway, since I started uploading my courses to my Explore through my smartphone, things seem to work and I can transfer my courses.

• Hi there.

I have encountered exactly the same problem and followed the advice offered by ars.fabula below.  The only difference is that when I sent it to my device, I downloaded it as FIT file rather than a GPX and that worked perfectly.