This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incredibly slow route calculation - Garmin Edge Explore

I must be doing something wrong here. I just try to create a route and load it into my Garmin Edge Explore:

1. Using Garmin Connect I create a new route

2. Send it to my Edge Explore and turn it off

3. On a sunny day, I take my bike outdoors, turn my Garmin on, select the ride I imported

4. WAIT FOR 15 MINUTES FOR A 30 KM RIDE TO 'CALCULATE' WHILE I CANNOT USE THE MAP OR NAVIGATION AT ALL

5. Figure out I'm already dead bored or so off the route that my device panics and tries to recalculate or just kill itself.

Is there any way to make it do the 'calculation' step much faster or at least when I import the route and not only when I actually want to ride it?

• Is this a function of the number of data points? Do you also have strange activity with the start button, everything starts automatically except one of the data fields (usually Distance), need to press the start button for distance to work. Could these be related?

• Did you have good GPS reception?

• In my case Yes, superb reception.

• Maybe I didn't express myself clearly: I encountered similar issues as , but these were solved when I started route calculation after have good GPS signal.

• Yes, it doesn't seem to be related to the GPS reception. It happens every time I import a route from somewhere else. Buiding a round route on the device itself is slow as well, but once it finds it, I can ride immediately, without this weird 'Calculating' step...

• Since updating to 5.20, I too have experienced a severely slowed down device. In addition to much slower nav calculations (similar to the OP), there is now a 2-4 second lag when swiping between screens. Previously, the swipes took less than 1 second between screens.

• I,m experiencing exactly the same slow behavior. I have to wait minutes until the route has been calculated before I finally can start. Even when the GPS connection is good.

• Is this because of the number of data points being used?
    • Is this because of the version number (currently 5.20)?
    • Or is the Edge Explore simply a slow device?

I really love all Garmin devices but now seriously considering buying something else.

• blimey 15 minutes. I thought mine was a bit slow but in reality never more than 3 or 4 mins. Have you looked at the number of data points? I have the option after mapping a ride on 'Ride with GPS' to output the TCX file with a maximum of 500 data points ( I have never needed to use this feature for rides upto 70 Miles). I then manually drop this TCX file into the 'new files' directory in the root of the Garmin Edge Explore. The O/S seems to do everything else needed. 

• blimey 15 minutes. I thought mine was a bit slow but in reality never more than 3 or 4 mins. Have you looked at the number of data points? I have the option after mapping a ride on 'Ride with GPS' to output the TCX file with a maximum of 500 data points ( I have never needed to use this feature for rides upto 70 Miles). I then manually drop this TCX file into the 'new files' directory in the root of the Garmin Edge Explore. The O/S seems to do everything else needed. 

• As a brand new user to Garmin devices, I can agree with this. I went on an hour cycle yesterday and 45 minutes of it was calculating. It's a very simple route with minimal data points. It's pointless. This device is by a long way the worst gadget I've used in a long time. The concept is great, the execution absolutely abysmal. If Garmin are currently the market leaders, they won't be for long at this rate.