This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge Explore software version 5.20 available

Today Garmin Express offered new software version 5.20 for the Edge Explore.

Changes from version 5.10 are:

Device Software Version: 5.20
File Size: 20.83 MB

1.Added the ability to customize the activity track color on the map.
2.Fixed an issue with OSM roundabouts giving incorrect guidance.
3.Fixed an issue where routing to points that are not in the road network could create very long routes.
4.Fixed an issue where the Course Creator out-and-back was not working properly.
5.Updated the turn review map page so the distance on the top left of the screen updates and the data field on the bottom left shows Heading.
6.Only alert for LiveTrack auto start timeout once per activity.
7.Made OK the first response for LiveTrack and Text Message response prompts to minimize interaction while riding.
8.Added letters to the Polish keyboard to make it easier to type words in other languages.
9.Fixed an issue on the keyboard that could cause the device to shut down.
10.Fixed handling for long course names.

Installation was without issues and a quick scan 'in hand' showed no issues in the menu, screens, etc..
Note: No IQ Apps installed and Connected Features disabled (BT Off).

In the same session also 16 Language Files were renewed.

• After uploading 5.2 (as above no issues, but I left BT on) I noticed that the next morning it took a much longer time to sync to the satellites.  I assumed that this was because the software update had to recalculate the satellite locations. However the next day it also took quite a long time.  It seemed quicker yesterday.  In reality this is not much of a big deal as I usually turn on the GPS a few minutes before leaving the house.  I might also be imagining it.  

• 1.Added the ability to customize the activity track color on the map

this is only in the preview of the activity? Not when riding or am I wrong?

It would be great to change that purple line which isn't always good visible on the map. You can change the preview colour, the colour of the way you where but not the route itself.....Very strange...The same with the small black triangle that's also difficult to see on the map.

• It is the current activity track (breadcrumps trail) that you can give a different color since software version 5.20. Originally there was only the light blue color. You can find it under Settings / Ride Settings / Map / History Line Color.

So, it is NOT the preview of the activity - you already could choose a color, and NOT the color of the loaded Course which has been purple as long as I can remember. If you have turned on the Turn Guidance (white arrows) then a somewhat broader magenta Course line will be calculated which is layered under the purple line of the loaded Course.

If you have problems with the visibility of the Course line and the small black triangle showing the GPS position, you could try if setting the Map Visibility to High Contrast gives you a better view. Settings / Ride Settings / Map / Map Visibility / Map Visibility Mode / High Contrast

• Hello, 

I'm having an issue with the routing.

I have OSM maps and use Komoot via the IQ app to generate routes.

If I ride the course in the reverse direction, it keep pointing back to the start.

If I miss a point along the course, it keeps redirecting me to the missed point even when I'm back on the course? Any idea how to solve this?

Second point is the battery drain.

This weekend I did a bigger ride (5h/130km), but after 93km/~4hr the unit suggest battery save mode. I accept and everything freezes. Initially the device makes some beeps, but finally the unit doesn't produce any sound at all and the screen remains lit and frozen during the rest of the ride.

When I came home, I plugged it in ,but still no sign of life...

After reading the manual, I found the "reset" by pushing the power button for 10 seconds.

The unit rebooted normally, but everything after km 93 was lost. 

Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks for the advise.

• Yes, it is normal-unnormal behaviour:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-explore/223642/edge-explore-goes-blank-and-locks-up-during-ride

Unfortunately, we can't see the fix in the changelog of 5.20 :(

Szy.

• Thanks for the reply.

I hope this will be fixed quickly!

• I have this update installed since 2 days and it has ruined my battery life. Today after an 3,5 hour ride there was only 7% juice left. Normally on such rides I never had to yhink about battery life and mostly have some backlight on. Now it was turned off the whole ride. My mate who has still 5.10 running had just normal amount of juice.
    I want to go back to 5.10 asap, but the site where normally all the older firmware versions can be found is not available anymore. Anyone knows an alternative way to get an older firmware version. I called Garmin support today also but was not sure if they can send it to me.
    Anyone else having battery issues after 5.20?

• But to honest... as a test I've set the history line color to red and later to black, but I never saw the changed color displayed while riding: (light) blue as always. So is it a bug, or are we interpreting the new feature wrongly?

• I use 5.20 but do not have battery issues. Maybe a full reset to factory settings might help (but maybe I know the outcome...).

Warning: you will loose all your personal settings and data.