This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Explore battery

Hi

I went out on a 24km ride. We stopped a bit for food and whatever.

Ride time: 1h47

Elapsed time: 3h41

When we left my battery was @ 99%

It died on me near home.

When I got this it was around 70%. I charged it up. Once.

How many times of charge or how long will this take before I get a full range of battery power? They advertised this as 12 hrs. I understand this might be a bit much but, not even 4 hrs when half of that was paused... is a bit poor

Any advice please

• I believe the battery level sensor can be off at times. I let my battery drain to 0%, it is now 2.5 hours later, and the device is still functioning.

Yes, that's 2.5 hours with the battery at 0%.

• I've returned mine to Garmin uk and 3 weeks later I'm still waiting for a replacement! 

• No advice from me, sorry. But we have two units with similar problems, they're draining in about 4 hours. I have a process going on with Garmin support, clearly there is a problem because there are so many complaints all over the net.

• Had my replacement 3 days ago, not been on a long ride yet but it's not draining the battery like before. My old edge 800 still lasts for around 11hrs, can't understand how the edge explore battery can be so poor?

• Pre 5.20 firmware at least 8 to 10 hours using one speed sensor, auto sleep functions and battery save mode enabled. No routing just measuring and when i want to see stats i tap the screen to see them and it goes back to off in 15 seconds.

Now? Pfft...it installed 5.20 or the newest firmware without my permission and the battery went dead in just over 1 hour using the same settings.

I also have a new battery stuck at %100 bug. Nothing but problems now. Contacted support.

This latest firmware screwed me big time.

• Garmin exchanged mine for one that's even worse, used 23% of the battery in 1hrs 15mins. Say they'll part exchange it for an edge 830 if I pay £250!! Oh but they'll throw in a speed sensor! Absolutely terrible company to deal with. Don't know to switch to a Wahoo or to try the 830? Might have to order it from Wiggle, at least I'll get a refund which is something Garmin don't do. Jon oliver the uk ceo of Garmin just isn't interested in helping the people who pay his wages.

• Im dealing with this as well. At most it holds a full charge for about 2 hours. Chat help told me to erase all files and add in courses 1 by 1 and test the battery on the ride. If the battery works then the ride file isn't corrupt. If I add a course and the battery fails then I know it's corrupt. So when Im stranded somewhere mid ride then I will know, awesome solution. They told me since this is an older model (I purchased less than 2 years ago) corrupt files are common. Battery isn't replaceable so looks to me I purchased a relatively expensive disposable computer with a year shelf life that I will need to replace. If anyone has found an actual solution or issue that solved this, would love to know

• I paid the money and had the edge 830, was out today for 4.5hrs and it used 12% of the battery. If you just keep the edge explore you'll be stuck with it. Trouble is there's no real alternative to Garmin. Wahoo screens are black and white. Still use my old edge 800, OS map on an sd card and the battery lasts forever!!

• We have made battery life improvements with SW version 5.30 that was released on 12/17/2020. If you are still experiencing an battery life issue, please create a new thread.