This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Explore for Window wants to install a map already installed and does not recognize the Edge Explore is disconnted

Express for Windows wants to install the cycle map North America  2019.20 although the map is already installed. Installation fails. Whe I eject the device, Express does not recognize that the device is disconnected. 

I assume Garmin Express is at fault. Any solution?

• With similar problems with GE insisting offering the same map update all the time, uninstalling and re-installing the newest version of GE solved my problem. Used the Windows 10 native tools for uninstalling Apps.

• Thanks. I gave it a try, but it did not work. WHen I start GE, it still thinks the Edge Explore is connected.

• Without the Edge Explore coupled via USB and without connection to the smartphone too? If the latter may have some influence I don't know, but switch off BT to have one varable less.

• Thanks. I disconnected BT and tried again. I managed to get the updates installed. GE still shows the Explore connected. I think it's a GE problem. 

• You could try deleting the following files of the Edge. Then switching it off and back on again so that it rebuilds them and see if that fixes the issue.

Garmin\Device.fit

Garmin\GarminDevice.xml

• Thanks for the suggestions. but unfortunately none worked. Express still shows the Explore connected. That is, the Edge Explore tile in Garmin Express has a green dot, even after the device is ejected.

The Garmin Connect device page shows the last sync was January 28 and the current software is correctly reported as v. 5.10.0.0. Note that the current software was updated since January 28. 

Would a device reset help here?

• A full reset to factory settings often showed to solve unexplainable problems. The disadvantage is that all personal settings will be lost. You may restore them manually after the reset, or follow the procedure that Garmin describes here: https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?faq=eWswdSH4aC3xrXxmQj7U9A My experience is that the difference in total time needed is small. The manual procedure has (for me) the advantage that you have to step through the menu items which is learningful to see them pass by.

However I assume that a device reset will not solve your problem because it is there even when the Edge is not connected. So, it may be a local software issue (Garmin Express or even Windows), or wrong device data on the remote Garmin Server(s).

You may try to remove the Edge from your Garmin Express and then re-register it as a new device. Or even a step further - first remove the device from GE, then login to garmin.com where your device has been registered online, remove the device (section 'My Products' or similar). Then re-register the Edge as a new device followed by adding the Edge again in Express.

• Normally the Edge and GE should behave as described here. Maybe it gives you clues in your process pinning down to the cause of the issue with the Edge Explore.

The Edge connected through USB and in mass storage mode:
    - Does Windows assign a drive letter?
    - Are folders and files on the Edge accessible from Windows normally?
    - In Garmin Express the Edge shows as connected (green dot) & syncs automaticcaly to Garmin Connect (behind the sreens). If you click the Edge logo in GE it shows that sync was successful and if 'You're up to date!', or is telling you that updates are available. Allright?

When you disconnect the Edge (Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media):
    - Does the mass storage mode halt, drive letter removes from Windows
    - Does the Edge perform a soft Start-up showing the main menu when finished?
    - Does the green dot immediately turn to grey in GE and telling you 'Not connected' as it should?

Did you have the problem from the beginning with your new device already, or crept it in on a later moment? If the latter, can you bring facts together that may have caused different circumstances after which GE keeps telling you that the Edge is connected, even when not?

• I uninstalled the device from both Garmin Express and Garmin Connect Web and the problem persists. Garmin Express never recognizes that the Edge Explore has been ejected from the PC. Also Garmin Connect Web does not recognize the software is updated. 

When I connect the Explore to the PC and run Garmin Express, the servers try to push map, language, and software updates that are already installed to the Explore. 

• Contact Garmin Support? My bin of idea's is empty...

The only desparate step I think I would do fnally is to remove all map files (NOT the Basemap because you will not get it back!!), install an older version of the firmware. Do a full reset. Refresh GarminDevice.xml and Device.fit as aweatherall suggested above and then let GE install latest firmware, maps, etc.

Don't forget to backup everything before taking desparate steps... ;)