This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RideWithGPS on Edge Explore?

Since she's not using power meters etc., my GF just got the Edge Explore (not the 820 or 1000 version) a few days ago.

OK, so I get that it's a stripped down Edge 1000, so a few things missing, like displaying Grade on a data screen - arghh.

The one thing that has us stumped is inability to find RideWithGPS in the Connect IQ app store (on her iPhone).

I found something that said RwGPS is compatible with many Edge devices, including Explore 820 and Explore 1000, however, this seems like a big miss for a so-called Touring cycle computer?

I have the RwGPS IQ app on my Edge 830 and create all my routes in the tool, as do many of our cycling friends. Furthermore, we also confirmed that from my Android phone, the RwGPS app is in the Connect IQ store, so what gives? Does the Connect IQ store block certain apps based on compatibility?

We also unpaired her Explore from her phone and repeated the pairing process (in Connect) and tried to force it to install as an Explore 1000, but it failed to pair Disappointed

So can anyone confirm our finding or have a solution for it?

• a few things missing, like displaying Grade on a data screen

That's because the Edge Explore lacks barometric altimeter.

Does the Connect IQ store block certain apps based on compatibility?

It's not Garmin, but rather the author of the app, who decides which devices the app can be run on. Contact the author and perhaps they will update it to make it compatible.

• Good answers, thank you!

I wasn't aware the altimeter was missing, but assumed the device may have used elevation data from maps.

I've raised a support issue with RwGPS, hopefully, after some (minor) testing, they can add this device to the compatible list

• You could try the GRouteLoader app. It takes a little more work but it can download RwGPS routes as well as other sources & is compatible with the Edge Explore 

• I sent an email to Ride with GPS requesting that they add  Edge Explore compatibility to their Connect IQ app. Got a nice note back saying work was in process. Suggest that anyone who cares should ping RWGPS - I suspect that the speed to add the Edge Explore will be directly related to the level of interest.

• Thanks!

yeah, I did that at the weekend and got a similar reply.

"Because each device needs a specific app for it, there's a lot of overhead when supporting different devices. The first round of devices made available can be found here - https://ridewithgps.com/help/iq/  

The Edge Explore is at the top of our list for development, but we do not have it scheduled for work yet. Once we are done with the current Garmin integration work, I'm sure we'll see some attention go to the Edge Explore. "

So absent the barometric altimeter, I'm assuming this device is using GPS location and map elevation to calculate climbing, thus I'd have thought some basic trigonometry math could yield grade?

• I'm assuming this device is using GPS location and map elevation

I'm not even sure if the built-in map has any elevation data integrated. And besides digital elevation maps are usually very crude and don't take into account man-made structures, thus making any slope calculation even less accurate.

• I use the web version of RWGPS and output it to my Edge Explore via a USB cable, works fine for me. 

Pete 

• Yeah, we're doing that (just like I did in the "old" days with my 510 and then 810), PeteGI. but it's much nicer to have the wireless capability with Connect IQ integration.

Hopefully, we'll get the latter soon Smiley

• I use RWGPS on my MacBook then wirelessly transmit to the Edge Explore using the IQ app, RouteCourse by Dynamic Watch.  Works fine.

• Since last Friday. If your garmin Connect account is linked to RwGPS. Pinned routes will automatically sync to your edge via Garmin Conect.

See Here... 

ridewithgps.com/.../4722-introducing-direct-file-import-for-route