This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Explore goes blank and locks up during ride

Had my Edge Explore screen go blank and lock up twice during yesterday's ride.  Started late last year and is now practically an every ride thing.  When it happens the device is completely unresponsive.  After a few minutes, holding the power button for 10 seconds brings it back, and when it comes back it's aware a ride is in progress and the data from the earlier part of the ride is intact.  It used to initiate a crash alert during most of these lockups until I disabled it and deleted my emergency contact.

Is anybody else having this problem?  I see it mentioned on the Edge 830 forum.  I began the repair process (I'm out of warranty) and was quoted $130.  I don't want to do it and just get sent a refurbished unit that has the same issue.  My device worked fine for a year.  Then the issue started, I believe after a software upgrade....

• Yes I also think this is a standard answer just to get the customer complaint out of the way.. really bad experience. 

Will contact the store I purchased and see if I can return

• I didn’t manage to fix these problems either with my unit so in the end I gave up and bought a Hammerhead Karoo2. It’s a bit of an investment and it’s not 100% perfect either but it is way, way better than the Garmin units I had (530 and Edge) and perhaps best of all: they’re a young growing company who are eager to satisfy their customers. Not an impression I got from Garmin. Garmin make great hardware (my 20 year old eTrex unit still works!) but software and support are lagging. 

• I have the same problem. I received a replacement unit and it still locks up during a ride when a battery saving mode is on. Very frustrating!

• Does anyone one know if the lock up issue has been solved with the latest version of software 5.4... I have asked the question but no reply from Garmin. 

Sadly the Explore is unusable in battery save mod and only practical on a long ride when connected to a battery pack...

I'll await an update..

• Not solved with version 5.4!
    Last monday I planned to investigte how much battery is saved when riding with Battery Save mode with my 4 years old Edge Explore. Normally I never use Battery Save mode. Honestly forgotten the issue of unexpected lockups it happened after 3.5 hours ride - still 10 minutes to go. A long press on the Power button brought live back in the device. Course still active and could upload the activity to Garmin Connect after finishing, but data missing of the time it took to revive the thing - I did not stop cycling.
    Compared to my  'norma'l riding a course with Turn Guidance ON, backlight @ 60% permanently ON, Speed/Cadence and Heartrate  sensors, the battery consumption dropped from about 13% per hour to about 10.5% per hour (n=1).

• No, it hasn't! Garmin replaced mine, but still has same issue. 

• Hello , Im having the same issue with my edge explore it keeps locking up and I need to hold the power button until it starts up again , also today the screen went blank whilst navigating for around 1-2 minutes then it came back again . I have the latest updates installed , should I contact Garmin about this and what’s the best way of contacting please .

Thanks 

• I’ve had a reply from Garmin at last…see below!!

“Unfortunately we are still looking into the issue for you, it's proving a difficult bug to squash unfortunately.

There are some signs that having the device paired to your phone at the time may be playing a part in what's going on.

So as a temporary measure you could try and not have it paired during your phone during use (and only turning that on again after your ride to sync), and see if that makes a difference to things.

Our apologies for any inconvenience. “

I’ve told them that my phone wasn’t paired and it still froze!!

This is the email for Garmin :-[email protected]

the more feedback to Garmin the better to help them find a solution!! 

• You can contact them on the website and open a ticket but it won't do any good. They sent me a replacement which did the same thing. Then they had me send them a bunch of system files from the second affected device. Never heard from them again. Don't waste your time! The only workaround is not to use it in battery save mode. And if you do make sure you take your emergency contact out. One way or another, you'll trigger an emergency incident or a request for assistance. 

Edit: But then again, as someone else stated, the more complaints they get the better! 

• In the case I described above my phone was NOT connected (BT off) when the Explore froze with battery save being enabled.