This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Explore goes blank and locks up during ride

Had my Edge Explore screen go blank and lock up twice during yesterday's ride.  Started late last year and is now practically an every ride thing.  When it happens the device is completely unresponsive.  After a few minutes, holding the power button for 10 seconds brings it back, and when it comes back it's aware a ride is in progress and the data from the earlier part of the ride is intact.  It used to initiate a crash alert during most of these lockups until I disabled it and deleted my emergency contact.

Is anybody else having this problem?  I see it mentioned on the Edge 830 forum.  I began the repair process (I'm out of warranty) and was quoted $130.  I don't want to do it and just get sent a refurbished unit that has the same issue.  My device worked fine for a year.  Then the issue started, I believe after a software upgrade....

• I did factory reset and everything looks good. And what's more my light (not garmin) connected again.

• My Edge Explore very often (each ride or even few times at each ride) stops showing screen content when battery save mode is ON and I go off the route. It still generates beeps (off route, turn, etc.) but screen shows no any map and screen can't be woke up by touching it.

It doesn't happen when battery save mode OFF.

In my opinion it is problem of battery save mode logic or synchronisation between notification events and battery save mode screen on/off events.

• It has happened several tours that  my Edge Explore gets completely blocked. I cannot recall any beep either. Anyway, after a forced restart the route is still active. It also lost connection to the mobile every now and then (and that happened with a Garmin Forerunner 220 and could not be solved). Furthermore, when searching for route directly in the device it seems it cannot be too long. A destination 120 km away does not work - it just gets into a blocking mode and there is nothing created. I hoped the device could replace maps, but not at all, I cannot trust it working properly. When I now try to download a route, it says that a problem occurred, try again. Well, what problem?

Moving the map during a route is also a limitation, which means that I cannot easily get an overview of the map. It requires zoom out/in with the + and - soft buttons.

The only thing that I can use the device for is to see the speed, distance, lap time, and average time. This is basically the same as for my Specialized Speedzone, but this device doesn't have any battery limitations.

• This old versions link is dead.  Is there a new URL?

• Comparable discussion in the Edge 530 branch of this forum: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/236315/garmin-archive-software

If you know which version of the software you need for your Edge 1000, you may ask for it via a PM to @allory

Please note that you are in a Edge Explore thread here. For clarity and searchable for Edge 1000 owners, I advise you strongly to start a new thread in the Edge 1000 branch.

• We encountered similar issues on a longer ride 2 weeks ago, however my up to date Edge 530 did lock up once.

• My screen goes blank when I get near my destination every time now, I hold the power key to restart it and the ride is still there, but my light network is gone, I have the varia radar light.

• Same issue today with my Explor. Screen lockdown after 15 km ride nearing destination. I heard bleebs but the screen kept unresponsive, and I could not turn the device off, completely useless. After half an hour the screen suddenly came back. At home large parts of the track were not recorded. I had battery save mode on, temperature was 12ºC so not to cold for the battery. I need a trustworthy device for a long trip next year but have lost kind of confidence in it. That after my (very expensive) Garmin Montana died after just 2 years of use (defect USB port). My Garmin Nuvi still works after 11 years (be it worn out now) though but Garmin seems to be losing it, putting to much effort in design and marketing and less in quality? My next gps won't be a Garmin.

• Turning off power save solved the issue for me. Battery life remains ok but definitely not the claimed 12 hours anymore. I have since paid a deposit a new Hammerhead which is due next month. Hopefully more luck there!

• I'm riding with battery-save mode switched off since July (few weeks after upgrading to 5.20). That time I also reported this issue to Garmin. In my opinion this issue happens when during entering battery-save mode, some other event happens (of the course, turn back, sharp turn, surface change, etc.). Few days ago, after few months of follow-ups and forcing first line to pass this topic to engineers, they confirmed that some engineer recreated the issue. I Hope they will be able to find root cause and finally fix it as for me it is the most frustrrating issue of this device in the current software version.