This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does the 2018 Edge Explore support following courses on smart turbo trainers?

Hi, I recently bought an Elite Novo Smart turbo trainer and it's worked fine in conjunction with RGT (similar to Zwift), varying the resistance wirelessly. I've now tried hooking it up to my 2018-era Edge Explore: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/611996#specs

The Garmin finds the sensor in the turbo trainer fine, but when I load an imported GPX course and start the ride, all seems to be going well until you realise that the cursor on the Garmin map is not moving and the resistance never changes as it should when you progress through the ride.

What's annoying is that my searches of the product manual, of reviews and so on, nowhere did I read of it being confirmed that you CAN use it with smart turbo trainers (and by extension, simulate the experience of a saved course) or that you CAN'T.

Would have thought this was an obvious point, given how popular they are and the fact that the unit is high-ish end and launched as recently as 2018.

Any help appreciated!

Top Replies

All Replies

• The Edge Explore is a touring device with only basic training features. It does not connect to trainers as an FE-C device, which is required to make any interaction with the trainer. The specs say what kinds of sensors can be connected to the Edge Explore, and neither power meters nor interactive smart trainers are on the list.

• Thanks for answering that clearly! Thumbsup