This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Missing roads on maps

Hello, my Garmin maps were updated a few weeks ago and since then I can see hardly any roads on them. Very major roads show up (like motorways and trunk A roads) but no other roads/tracks do. Here is a photo of it a scale of 1.2miles (this is Manchester, UK):

The main roads show up (although the M60 is incorrectly labelled the M63). When I zoom in however no other detail appears. Here is a view at 800ft scale:

The names of some more roads show up, but not the roads themselves. On the device, there are four maps installed and enabled, which are:

• INTL Stadard Basemap, NR
  • Garmin Cycle Map EU, North East, 2020.10
  • Garmin DEM Map EU 2017.20
  • Garmin Geocode Map EU 2020.10

The map settings in relation to what is displayed are all on their automatic defaults, I think. 

If I try to get the device to generate a route, it only uses the roads than can be seen on the display, none of the (many) other roads that exist.

I can still use the device to record where I have been and I can create a course on my PC and download it as the PC uses Google maps, but the course I have planned just shows up on the device as being through empty space.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? I contacted Garmin support two weeks ago through there chat facility and they pointed me to a couple of web articles about resetting the device and checking that all the maps were enabled, but none of them helped so they asked me to email them photos which I did and since then I've heard nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful. My background is computer science, so I'm happy to try anything!

Many thanks, Paul

• Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thank you for your help, my problem is resolved now! I believe that the problem was caused by the map being updated to the two-part Europe map as detailed above.

When the Garmin Connect software updated the map the SW Europe map went onto the SD card and was no longer being used by my Edge Explorer 1000 so all the detail of the maps in NE Europe, including the UK was lost and just the basemap was displayed. I fixed it by deleting the NE map from the Garmin folder on the device's memory (a set of files, all with the filename gmapprom and different extensions) and replacing these with the map of SW Europe which was on the SD card in the Garmin folder (a set of files all with the filename D6017040A and different extensions). Moving these files into the Garmin folder on the device's memory made the detailed maps of the UK reappear. I've lost the detailed maps of NE Europe but I only cycle in the UK so this isn't a problem. 

It's obviously disappointing that the Garmin connect software (version 6.21.0.0) just wiped the map, it would be good if the device could have been configured to use one map from the device memory and one from the SD card or alternatively at least if the Connect software on my PC had offered me a choice of which map to use or even worked out which one I would  based on the data they have about me.

Sorry also if I've posted this in the wrong forum - I hadn't realised that the Edge Explorer was a different device and couldn't find a forum for the Edge Explorer 1000 so just assumed it was the same device rebadged.

I will have a tinker to see if I can get all the files (both maps) on the device's memory, but I'm happy with the solution I have for now as I've recently moved to a new area and just wanted to be able to see the local roads :-)

Thanks again, Paul

• Good to hear that you have back the detailed map.

Another approach could be to copy ALL the Cycle map files (including SW and NE) to the SD-card in the ..\Garmin folder and just the Basemap files on the device, just like I have on my Edge Touring. Copy the file GarminDevice.xml to the ..\Garmin folder on the SD-card and GE will recognize the SD-card as your device. Then you can update maps while just having the SD-card in the cardreader. Works much faster. When finished the map update put the SD-card in the device and the Cycle Map will be available for navigating.

• Thanks for the suggestion.

So when all is done, are these the files you should end up with?

SD Card gmapprom Garmin Cycle MAP EU, North East
    gmapdem Garmin DEM Map EU
    gmappgc Garmin Geocode MAP EU
    gmaptz Time Zone map
    D6017040A Garmin Cycle Map EU, South West
    Device gmapbmap INTL Standard Autoroute Basemap
    GarminDevice.xml

Also, when you copy across, do you just take the .img files or do you also take the corresponding .gma and .unl files?

• Keep gmaptz.img on the device. To be sure I checked this on my Edge Touring.

Corresponding .gma and .unl files need to stay together with the .img files.

Please note that it make take a relatively long time on "Loading maps" the first time you have placed back the SD-card with the updated Cycle Map files into the device.

• That worked well for me now thanks!

• mate iam having this issue now after updating but iam not very good on computers what is the easiest way to resolve this nissue

• Same problem Guys  

I just reinstalled then went to the maps

[Tools] [Trip Pages] [Maps] [Map Info Select Map]

Click on each map in turn and [ENABLE]

Streets appeared.

Ian

• I had the same problem twice on my 1030+. First time I reloaded the NA maps x3. No help. Then I was able to find something to tap to "show roads". But I don't remember where. And now I can't seem to find it!

Why would Garmin give you the option to see the map WITHOUT the roads???

• There pretty sure there never was any such option.