This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

battery problem version 5.10

Hi everybody
my battery drains in 5 hours, bluetooth deactivate, 50% brightness, 15 seconds backlight, dynamic recording and a cardiac sensor.

normally the battery lasts 8 hours without problem.

are you also having problems with version 5.10 thank you for your answers.

Thanks

• With software 5.10 my Edge Explore consumes 10.9 % per hour battery capacity. Screen backlight permanently ON at 70% (day mode), Course active without navigation while taking breadcrumps, 2 sensors - HR and GSC10 speed/cadence, Bluetooth OFF. Riding with turn guidance (TbT) on increases the battery consumption just a few tenth of a percent.

Sounds reasonably, but with software 4.40 it was 9.1% per hour, with 4.60 suddenly increased to 16% per hour. Appearantly Garmin worked on this issue behind the screens - no mention of it in the change logs - and with software version 5.00 it lowered back to 11.5% per hour and up to now I have for two rides 10,9% per hour with the latest software version 5.10. All measurements done under the same conditions and settings as far as possible. Be aware that these figures are dependent of the individual battery condition, so other devices may record different figures under the same conditions.

• Hello, yes indeed. I have an 800 and a 520, the battery lasts well over 8hrs on both, recently purchased an Explore. I just started using it with a full charge and the battery lasts maybe 5hrs, with no sensors, bluetooth; etc. 

• For a new device this sounds not good. My for several years intensively used Explore lasts 9 hours during simple rides with taking breadcrumbs only.

Before contacting Garmin you could try to bring the battery to full capacity by performing 5x a full charge - discharge cycle. Discharge as far as possible. If you are too late with the recharge the device may have switched off itsef and settings may be lost then. So be prepared to restore them from a backup or re-enter each item manually. If you bicycle a lot you don't need to perform a dedicated charge-discharge project - that takes many many hours. If you let the battery drain by normal use and charge only to 100% if the battery level is low as about 10% the battery may reach full capacity during time.

• Yes, since the last couple of updates the battery life has got worse. Customer service at Garmin is non existent. My old 800 is far superior in battery life but no bluetooth, the edge explore is great apart from the battery life. It's a wonder garmin are still in business!

• I contacted Garmin and returned the unit, they are sending me another one with "improved" life, will see how it goes, though i should have just exchanged it for another model.

• So I've finally heard from Garmin, said for me to send it back and I'll receive a new one! Let's hope it ends well as I really love the device. I used it yesterday, 1hrs 15 minutes and the battery went from 100% down to 57%!! Still get 10hrs from my old edge 800!! 

• That's too bad. Same here, i just received a refurb one, charged it to 100%, turned it on the next morning for use and it was at 89%, used it on a quick 20mi ride with minimum displays and it ended up at 43%. Will exchange it for another model.

• My battery sensor is not accurate: after a ride of 3 hours it displays 30%, if I restart the device it displays 70%.

• Received my replacement today, powered it up and battery was 80%, faffed about with settings and pairing phone then went out for a 90 minute ride. Uploaded ride and battery was 70%. 

I'll keep you updated!

• Thx. Received a refurb unit, worked great. On a full charge battery stayed strong for a few rides and did not have to recharge until 10 days later. Computed battery was burning approx 10% on the first hour, then it slowed to about 5% afterwards, not sure why. I ended up returning it and exchanging it for a 520 plus, the touch screen was super sensitive, much more than my 800.