This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Explore version 5.00 available now

Today my Explore got new software version 5.00 through Garmin Express (Express also updated to new version 6.19.3.0 (Windows)).

The change log from version 4.60:

- Added support for Connect IQ 3.1.

- Added directional arrows for round trip courses.

- Fixed an issue where activities could report inaccurate distances if GPS was aquired after the activity started.

- Fixed an issue where backlight cursor icon disappeared, which was for disabling backlight setting in Battery Save Mode.

The software installed without issues.

• Thanks for the notification. Installation was smooth, but I had to reconnect my phone to the Edge Explore.

• - Fixed an issue where backlight cursor icon disappeared, which was for disabling backlight setting in Battery Save Mode.

So, if I want to use battery save mode with a different brightness, I still have to turn the battery save mode off, adjust brightness, and then turn it back on. I actually thought that was going to change.

• So far I never had the opinion to change the brightness in Battery Save Mode. It doesn’t matter how I change brightness-level outside Battery Save Mode, if I activate it, brightness jumps to 50%. The sun-icon in the slider jumps to the left side and is fixed there. 

I would very much appreciate it if you could adjust the level in Battery Save Mode. Especially in summertime, when the 50% are really hard to read.

• On my Garmin it works exactly like you described except it stays on the brightness level I've set.

The problem is sometimes I may need to adjust brightness to changing ambient light while still using the battery save mode and I'd like a quicker way to achieve that.

Edit: you probably meant it jumps to 50% if brightness was set higher than that and you're right. I personally never set it higher than 40%.

• Changing backlight level in battery save mode worked in EE in v4.40 and earlier. It was very helpfull for me. Without switching battery save mode off/on I could change backlight mode from 0 during sunny day to some value in the shadow places and to about 20% during night which was fine for me. Now in v4.60 I have to play with switching battery save mode off, changing backlight level and then switching it on. Much more complicated :(

In my opinion Garmin should allow to change backlight level in battery save mode (maybe they can limit max to 50%) as bettery save is mainly thanks to switching off screen display (and saving processor power on continuous map redrawing on screen). Backlight is still possible at levels up to 50% and only adjusting is complicated since v4.60. Garmin, please correct it in next firmware version.

• I used it exactly the way you did.

I thought it was a bug when it wasn't possible to do so anymore but they haven't fixed it so I guess it was intentional.

• so the issues about battery saving screen off not functioning, the random system freeze, the white screen coming up instead of turn alert are still on? quite annoying if they are, every ride I have an issue, when it works it works quite fine but sometime just doesn't, too often...