This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Explore Battery Life

Hi can anyone help. Hubby and I both have an Edge Explore and both are about 18 months old.  At first battery life wasn't bad but now both units only hold for a 2 hour ride

before going into "Save battery mode".

I sent mine away for a new battery but they couldn't source a new battery and returned the unit. Surely we don't have to buy new one's already? Can anyone shed some

light on why the battery life is so poor.

I'd be grateful for some help. Thanks

• Did the bad battery life appear after the upgrade to firmware version 4.60? Or, on which firmware version is your Explore?

• Hi, no I've never done a firmware update. The software version is 2.20. GPS 6.17.14 and TSC Version 85.06.00 it says  there's  software update available. Where would I find firmware version? 

• Sorry, there may be a confusion about firmware / software - they are the same. Software updates are available via Garmin Express. The latest version for MAC is 6.17.0 and can be found here: www.garmin.com/.../

If the device tells you that an update is available it is waiting until you tell it to install: Menu / System / About / Software Update

SoftwareVersion 4.60 is the latest.

• Can't help but Mine is the same age with exactly the same issue

• What have you been using to recharge it? I.e. standard computer usb 1.0/2.0 port (500mA) a usb3.0 (900ma) port, a "dedicated charging" (computer) usb port (up to 1.5a)or some sort of phone "fast charger" up to 2.4a or higher?  Using the higher powered fast-chargers can reduce the life of batteries in the way you describe due to higher heat during charging (among other things). I always charge mine with the standard 500ma or 900ma ports for this reason. Mine seems okay after 2 years. I did an 86 min ride today with full screen brightness, and the battery percentage decreased from 58% to 48% (although who knows how accurate those numbers really are)

I'm really surprised they couldn't source a replacement battery though.