This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Navigation instruction: Make a U-turn 120m away and come back ??

When I start to navigate from home to the starting point of a predefined course further away (which I downloaded from the Internet), then the Explore instructs me to make a U-turn 120 meters away at an intersection and then again pass my own house in the correct direction towards the starting point of my course.

The road in front of my house is an asphalt road where two trucks can easily pass each other.

Is this a device for biking or for oversized trucks?

Funny? I experienced the same in France, mountainbiking in the middle of nowhere with a lot of serious climbs, and at that time the U-turn (on asphalt) was 1 kilometer away, which wasn't funny at that time!

Does someone else have the same experience, eventually with other Garmin devices?

• U-turn logic always proposes the next intersection or a cross street as a safe location to make the turn. If you make a u-turn where you are, it will then recalculate the remaining route to the start from where you are.

If the Explore is sending you away from the start first, and then back to the actual start, it's most likely because the Explore thought you were facing / traveling the wrong direction when it did the original routing calculation to get you to the start.

• I'm with a bike ! And the Explore is for biking !

Why can't it instruct me to make a U-turn where I am at that moment (agree if I was with a car).

Or just point me in the correct direction immediately.

All the Apps I have on my smartphone are doing this correct, and even my old Mio Cyclo 315 (which is broken, hence the Garmin) did this always correct; Garmin could do much better !

• It always amazes me how many people just accept their GPS instructions (as evidenced by the regular stories of motorists blindly following GPS directions into pastures, canals, marshes etc.) without applying even a bit of thought.

I like the current way it works. I'm smarter than my Garmin, so if it says to make a u-turn up ahead and it is safe to do so where I am, I turn around and it then recalculates the rest of the route. But if there is a lot of traffic on the road or limited visibility, the Garmin suggestion lets me know how far it is to the next intersection where it might be safer to make the u-turn. 

If you are facing or moving in the direction of the start when you first load your predefined course, it should route you directly to the start without the u-turn. Or if you just start riding in the correct direction as you leave your house - it will recalculate as soon as it notices and then route you directly there.