This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No village name but still village street names visible on Garmin Cycle Map

Using Garmin Cyle Map on Garmin Edge Explore and I need very often to zoom out map to see bigger area with cities and villages around to decide which way to ride.

My problem is that zooming out map city names are visible but villages are not.

I found that having zoom set to 200m is the last step when village names are visible (together with street names). Going to zoom 300m street names are still visible but village names are not. This is very strange. At zoom level 500m there are no village street names too. At that zoom level only city names are visible. Lack of village names is a big trouble as it makes impossible to decide which way to go to reach some specific village.

Could Garmin change Garmin Cycle Map settings to keep village names to somilar zoom step as city names? You could use different font size for villages than cities.

Currently font size for village names is even less than for street names. 

• Here are few screenshots at different zoom level to show how quickly village name disappears when zooming out.

Garmin Cycle Map no village name

• Go to "Settings / Ride Settings / Map / Map Visibility". Try fiddling with "Zoom Levels" and/or "Detail" settings.

• One more thing: You have to set "Map Visibility to "Custom". Otherwise "Zoom Levels" and "Detail" settings won't be available.

• Setting Detail to Highest in Custom Map Visibility helps a bit. Village names are visible at 800m zoom. Drawback is slowed down map redrawing speed :(

I can't find City/Village name as category to set zoom level for display. I can only play with street name, area, map points, user locations. None of it impacts city/village names :(

• In software version 5.30 it is still not posible to set city font size in custom map visibility settings.

Default font is the smallest one and names are simply not readable on 3" device screen Disappointed

Garmin, please make city name font size configurable or make it bigger by default.

Sample for Leszno city (indicated by pin)

• Below is an example of the City Name 'ZOETERMEER' being very readable while Map Visibility is on 'Custom'. I agree that the text size of the City name is not customizable, but to my experience it does not need to be.

Maybe it is a good idea to test and discuss findings, annoyances and supposed bugs in a broader setting - for example here on the forum - in order to get a good agreement base. Now I guess that Garmin will never take action on the points you describe here, if even they read them...

• Are You using original Garmion map or some other OSM map?

The same area using Garmin map on my Edge Explore device looks differently (diffrent rendering of roads and areas, colors).

City name font is extremally small (the smallest one available on thevice for other categories) and can't be changed.

• Indeed I'm using a different OSM originated map 'OpenFietsMap Benelux' (www.openfietsmap.nl) with a modified TYP-file where all properties of PolyLines, Polygons and POI's with FontStyle=SmallFont are replaced with FontStyle=Default. This enables being able to set the text size of StreetNames, etc., which is not possible on the OFM with it's default TYP-file.

Because the text size of the City Names label on the Edge Explore is not settable I erroniously presumed that only StreetNames were influnced by my modified TYP-file. But maybe also labels like City Names will be displayed larger now (Medium size?), however not settable.

The next experiment would be to find out if it possible to change settings in the embedded TYP-file (if any?) of the Garmin Cycle Map to FontStyle=Default and see if the City names will be displayed larger then. At least there is no separate TYP-file which can be edited directly. Some research to do...

• Some research to do...

My conclusion is that the small display of City Names on the GC Map is NOT a bug in the Edge Explore firmware 5.30, but rather a map issue of the GC Map.
    Why? With a different map (in my case the OSM derived OpenFietsmap Benelux) the City Names are displayed in "Large" size (this also with an unmodified original TYP-file that is part of the OFM distribution). This proofs that the Edge Explore is able to do this and so the software has no bug in this respect. It must be the GC Map itself that generates the issue.

The GC Map contains an embedded TYP-file with all the specifications for Polygons, Polylines and POI's. There are tools to extract and change the TYP-file from NT type maps and to embed the changes back into the map (.img). These are Img2Typ (https://www.pinns.co.uk/osm/img2typ.html paid software). GmapTool and TypViewer. Be my guest to experiment. For myself the small display of City Names is a non-issue because I'm not using the GC Map with my many bicycle rides.

• I'm aware that map can be constructed in a way that city names has some specific category and that rendering algorithm in Edge can use different font sizes for that type. But font size for that category (city names) is not configurable on device. There are options for streen names, area names, POIs, User locations, but not for city names. I'm Garmin custoimer using their products and I'm sharing may experience from using their product on their forum (hoaping they are reading it).

It is not a software bug but for me it is annoying dissadvantage as current font size (smallest one) used is totally not readable during ride.

In my opinion in case Garmin is interested in building community of satisfied users, it should hear about bits and pieces that are annoying for users and improve it in upcoming software versions.

Continous improvement is common to modern and user focused companies.

So from my side I direct my request for improvement to Garmin. Please increase city font size or make it configurable as it is for street font.