This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Out of Date Maps

I have just received a refurbished Edge Explore back from Garmin after a USB issue with my original unit.

The maps on it are described as 2017.10 but I'm sure my old one had the 2019 maps on it even if I hadn't been able to updated it for months because of the USB issue.

I tried "check of updates" nothing found and a "reinstall maps" and after 2 hours they are still 2017.

How do I update them?

• Use the usb cord to connect to your computer. Garmin connect should have the map upgrades

• You probably mean Garmin Express? Suppose that @christianedward used Garmin Express already?

A suggestion to try: make a backup of all files in the folder ..\Garmin, then remove map files gmapdem.img, gmapgc.img and gmapprom.img, including eventually corresponding .gma and .unl files. Maybe you have mapfiles with different names like D6....img. Delete them too, including the corresponding .gma and .unl files.

Then connect the Edge Explore wired via USB to the PC and see if Garmin Express now will install the newest maps 2019.10.

If not successful, you can restore the deleted files from backup you made before. Time to contact your seller or Garmin

• Thanks I gave that a try, but the map "update" if offers is the same 2017 map.

• So probably the device is storing its update history somewhere else? To test if the file ..\Garmin\GarminDevice.xml or Device.fit is the culprit, you can make a backup and then delete them from the Edge Explore (EE). Then detach the EE from the PC in the safe way, power off and restart the EE. The two deleted files will be re-created automatically. Note that you must do this in the situation where all old map files are still NOT present on the device (see earlier reply). This is needed in order that the newly created GarminDevice.xml registers no installed maps.

Then connect the EE wired via USB to the PC and see if Garmin Express now will install the newest maps 2019.10.

If again Garmin Express still offers map version 2017, then you know that the map update history is NOT stored on the EE, but probably somewhere on the PC. Here I have to stop suggesting steps to solve your problem because I don't know where GE stores data like that. A very drastic step would be to uninstall Garmin Express completely - including all its data and left-over registry settings, etc. by using an uninstaller program like Revo Uninstaller. Then re-install GE and start over to try the map update for the EE to version 2019.10.

• Thanks, great suggestions, I'll give that a go, thanks for taking the time to help.

• I even tried all the drastic steps, deleting maps, device and xml files, uninstalling Garmin Express and clearing out all the old folders and registry entries (with ccleaner).

It still only offered me 2017 to install.

I'm going to contact Garmim Support again but thanks for the advice.