This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My Explore is stuck at "Loading profiles" on boot. How do I fix it?

I downloaded some routes (FIT files) via my Mac and properly ejected the computer.  When I restarted it, it went to "Loading profiles" and is stuck there.  Help, please!  It has been previously updated to 4.30

• You need to get the unit mounted back to the computer as a device/drive and delete the files from the Garmin\NewFiles folder.

If it will not mount when you connect it to the computer try.

Force to Mass Storage -
    Turn unit off. Hold the lap/reset button while plugging the unit into the USB. Continue holding the lap/reset for 30 seconds and the unit should go to mass storage.

• Thank you.  I finally did a chat session with a Garmin rep this morning and that was one of the things we tried.  The problem was that it wouldn't show up on the computer even then - I got a message asking if I wanted to format it, ignore the error or eject it.  I didn't try formatting but the others didn't do anything.  We tried resetting it a couple of different ways, as well.  No joy.

In the end they're sending me a replacement and I'm sending this paperweight back to them.

They really, really need to have a hardware reset button that just plain does it, flushes the eproms and reloads from protected storage.

I wish I knew what file was the issue.  I suppose I'll have to stick with non-FIT files now and hope.

I'm thinking that Garmin needs to put more effort into quality assurance going forward.  The fact that a search for the infinite loading profiles message on Google turns up hits for so many of their computers says that this isn't isolated and that they need to stabilize their code base since they obviously are sharing code amongst models (and rightly so, though you expect that you'd share the stable code rather than the buggy stuff.)

• Hi, i tried tho hold the lap/reset for 30 sec but the problem that also usb is charging but not being seen by the computer. any other ideas plz

• Check that the cable is a data and power cable and not just a power cable.

• I have had my Edge Explore for 9 weeks, and done 6 rides with it, using GPX tracks, dropping them into the NewFiles folder from my Mac. The last ride I used a FIT file for the planned route. I completed the ride, uploaded my recorded ride to Garmin connect and powered down. Now when I try and turn it on, I'm stuck on the 'loading profiles'. I can't believe a device can brick itself in normal use. The FIT file was exported from ridewithgps.com, other riders in the group used it on their 1030's with no ill effects.This was the file, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31386860

Perhaps the file is safe, and the Edge Explore is at fault. 

Garmin have the unit now for repair. Think I'll stick to GPX tracks from now on, just in case.

• I’ve had the exact same problem. I’m not at all happy with Garmin. 

• It looks like a lot of people have the same problem.   This is my second Garmin device upgraded to the EDGE Explore from the Touring.   It's my last, it is not even 11 months old, when it gets stuck loading profile after a  Garmin Express Software update.     Garmin support told me to take out the SD card. (hello the Garmin Edge Explore doesn't have an SD card slot.)  I'm not  impressed at all with them.