This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Explore hangs upon "going to sleep in 3 seconds"

I noticed that the Edge Explore (v4.10) with Battery Saving mode on quite often (4 times during the 40 minutes ride over the city) hanged (or actually did not go to sleep and did not turn the display off) with the screen saying "going to sleep in 3 seconds".

Interestingly the screen was active that time, updating the map or whatever it was displaying. Tapping the screen would bring it back to normal operation after which it went to sleep correctly.

Another observation is that when stuck in this "going to sleep in 3 seconds" mode when I stopped (alarm triggered) the beeper emitted the sound but there was no pause (double vertical orange bars) icon neither the green triangle upon ride resume. When I tapped the screen on the ride it then displayed the green triangle as if these notifications were somehow queued but not displayed.

• Hi Morales, did this get fixed? I am experiencing the same issue.

• Why not first update the software in your Edge Explore to the latest version (5.10) using Garmin Express and then experience yourself if the "hangs upon going to sleep in 3 seconds" issue has been solved or not?

• Hi,

Same issue here  on release 5.10

• Same issue with me with v. 5.20. It's when Battery Saving mode is checked to on. During the ride (every 5 minutes?) the display indicates "going to sleep in 1 .." (after counting down from 10 or so) but then it hangs. When the display hangs, the device is warming up (I presume using much CPU power consuming much battery power). Touching the screen or any button does not give any effect. The only way is to wait for a little while and then give a long push on the on/off button. The device will restart and display the start-up screen as from power off to on. Then pressing the start/pause button will give the display asking to continue the ride (or stop) - in fact the device will not stop recording when it hangs luckily, so you may store all data to the memory. Anyway I recommend not to use the Battery Saving mode, because when the display hangs it will consume all your remaining battery power.

• My unit just started to do the same today. 10 seconds after starting my ride i get the same alert and the unit goes to sleep.  i deactivated the auto sleep function, which made no difference.  i have only just recently updated the software to 5.20

• I'm using version 5.20 from the first release moment and have never met this problem. However, the Battery Save Mode has never been enabled on my Explore.

A full reset to factory settings may help. Be aware that all personal settings and data get lost. Eventually backup your Courses and Activities. After the reset Start from scratch and check if Battery Save Mode is OFF (it should be as default after a full reset). Do not enable Battery Save Mode after this anymore. better try to save battery by setting the screen backlight level to a value as low as possible to remain convenient and choose a Backlight timeout.

• I guess this happens when a warning (like sharp curve) wasn't acknowledged before. I've not seen this hanging anymore with 5.20.

Only my experience

• Hi,

same issue with v.5.30. I've sent twice my device to Garmin, even attaching videos about hanging with "going to sleep in 3 seconds". They respond twice that for 10-11 hours they were checking the device and they don't see nothing wrong.

It's a shame that Garmin doesn't pay attention to their customers. I meant that I'm doing an effort to send my device and videos. 

I hope they do something to sort it out... updeting device and taking care to their customers.