This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Audible alerts do not work correctly (at all) with Garmin Connect Mobile (iOS)

I have two Edge Explore (EE) about two months old, both with firmware 3.0.
GCM is the newest version 4.12.1.2.
My iPhone 6S Plus runs the latest iOS 12.1.

I was happy to find the audible alert option in GCM and turned all three on.

The lap alert works in a limited way. Whenever I press the lap button the iPhone will announce the lap number. That's all, no distance, no time, just the lap number. Not very helpful.
The heart rate alert works fine. At every interval I set the iPhone will announce the current heart rate.
The navigation alert doesn't work at all. This was the one I really would like to use.

To test the alert volume you can tap a button below the three alert settings and the iPhone will circle through all three alerts to give you a sample alert. When the navigation alert is activated the phone will announce a direction alert, although in an unintentional comical language mixture. I use my iPhone set to German and this works for the other two alerts. With the navigation alert the words are clearly English (turn left in 5 miles) but the phone pronounces them literally in German which is almost funny.
The real problem is, that during a real ride this alert does not sound at all.

I checked the GCM app diagnostics and believe I have found the reason. In the long list of various status infos there are three rows corresponding to the three audio alerts. They are called audioPromtsSettings.announcexxx where the xxx gives the name of the alert. As expected the first two are named LapsEnabled and HeartRateEnabled. The third one is named PaceSpeedEnabled which is clearly not navigation. Consequently that third one has a status of NO.

Has anyone managed to get the navigation alert to work and if so how?