This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Riding On xxx" and "Streetname Ahead" behaviour and suggestions.

Some anomalies in the "Riding On xxx" and "Streetname Ahead" messages.
Recording a ride, without navigating.

Typical behaviour seems to be that when you turn onto a street, you get an initial "Riding on Rose Rd" message, which is then replaced by a "Flying Club Road Ahead" message.
This makes sense in general. However, even if the cross street is several km ahead, almost immediately after turning onto a street, the riding on message is replaced with the cross street name. There is no point telling me about a cross street that's 20 mins away.

Improvement 1) The "streename ahead" message should only appear a pre-defined distance or travel time before the cross street. 1km, 500m, 5 mins etc.

The "streename ahead" is not always the next street ahead. Last night, I found that the ahead street skipped over a major cross road and told me about the street at the end of the road. Not the main cross street in between. The cross street that was skipped is commonly "suggested" as a cycling route, so it's not being excluded as inappropriate for riding on. This morning in another location, the same thing occurred displaying the first left hand street, but skipping an earlier right hand street.

Improvement 2) The "streetname ahead" message should not skip over major rideable side streets. (But it would be fine to ignore minor residential streets)

This morning - at one point in my route, the Explore gave up on the "streetname ahead" messaging, and only displayed "riding on" messages for about 6km, changing streetname as I turned, but ignoring a number of cross streets along the way. Then it reverted back to "streetname ahead", but displayed the streetname that was at the end of the current street, and not any of the cross streets in between. I was driving (not cycling) at speeds of about 60kmh at the time. (The last time I did the same route, it displayed "streetname ahead" messages all the way along - but that may have been on the earlier firmware version)

Improvement 3) Be consistent.

I'll add more observations as I find them.
  • "Major ridable street" and "minor residential street" aren't OSM designations. No one knows what they mean.

I don't think the Garmin should take into the highway type at all in providing a street name. Maybe, it should exclude "service" roads.

If there's a street name, it should show it. If there isn't a street name, it should say something generic (rather than the next street with a name).

I suspect that your issue is a bug.

(I'm a fairly-active OSM editor.)
  • I'm happy to report that the 2018.20 (Nor Am) maps seem to have resolved this issue. "streetname ahead" behaviour now appears to be consistent.
    I have not tested as many scenarios as before - given recent temps - but have not yet noticed any of the anomalies listed above.