This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bogus "sharp bend" warnings

Loving my new Edge Explore, as a step up from my trusty Edge 500, BUT...

On a century yesterday there were basically straight stretches of road where every 100 meters I'd get the beep and a "sharp bend" warning. Other times I'd get the warning before bends on roads with 50mph speed limits and no need for even trucks to slow for the bend. SUPER annoying! SUPER distracting!

I've read that on an Edge 1030 that can be disabled in the "activity profile", but I don't think the Edge Explore has those, and I can't find anywhere in the menus where I can disable this incredibly awful "feature".

Can anyone help with this?

Editing to add: Under the Alerts menu, I have *all* alerts turned off.

Editing again to add: I rode a 40-mile course today and got *no* sharp turn warnings. Thinking back carefully about the two recent rides where I get the bogus warnings, both times they were on out-and-back sections (where the outgoing and ingoing course follows the same road). Does this fit anyone else's cases?

Dave
  • Hi DaveInMass - I tried an ‘out and back on the same road’ route today on which I’d experience the same and didn’t get the spurious warnings this time. It recently applied a map update in Garmin Express and wonder if this could have made a difference (I’m in Europe BTW) ?
  • I would love an option to disable these entirely. And by 'love' I mean, that absolutely needs to get added. ;)
  • I would like to second the request to be able to disable these warnings, in general my issues on the road are:
    1. Often the warning is too late
    2. Often the warning is fairly random
    3. When there actually is a sharp bend, I rather be watching the road instead of my attention switching to my Garmin to check what the beep is about.

Luckily on the road I don't get that many. However I just did my first time on my mountainbike with my Edge Explore (which btw in general I am really liking). The good news is that the sharp bend warnings were fairly accurate. The bad news is that it sounded like a new genre of electronic music: on single tracks it just kept on beeping and beeping about sharp bends. Sure in theory it was right there were sharp bends, but I don't need every 3 seconds a new warning.

So please add the option to disable these :).
  • It took a while but I found where this setting is. Start at the top level "---" menu. Then:

Activity Profiles > ROAD (or whatever) > Navigation > Sharp Bend Warnings

This is on Edge 1030 software version 6.30

• tisaacson, On the Edge Explore, Garim added a slider in FW 4.00 to disable sharp bend warnings.