This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation Corrections Upon Upload?

Gurus,

A couple of questions for the brain trust:

1. Has anyone compared the accuracy of the GPS-only based elevation against the barometric sensor accuracy?

2. Are the elevation measurements corrected when uploading at the end of a ride?

TIA
GG
  • 1. Less accurate :-) I suspect it's also not a linear relation between "real" elevation and gps elevation.

2. When uploading to Garmin Connect they are corrected, when uploading to strava they are not, you have to manually trigger the correction by viewing your activity, clicking on elevation in the top right section of the screen and then a little box appears where you can select "correct".
  • Thanks for the info. Is there a way to automatically trigger Strava to correct the elevation on all rides uploaded so it doesn't have to be done each time? 

My Edge Explore grossly under reports elevation gain on long rides with lots of elevation gain. 

• In recent weeks, Strava reports activities I record with the Edge Explore as elevation corrected. Activites that I record with my Edge 800 still show up in Strava with a link to correct the elevation.

I assume that when Garmin Connect sends the activity to Strava, it conveys that the elevation has been corrected if the activity is recorded by a device that is set in GC to auto correct the elevation.

• Thank you and yes, Strava is auto correcting the elevation.