This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge running out of time without GPS on FW5.00 & 5.10

when you use your Edge only with Indoor Profile without GPS, after every use, the time is not syncron to a time server, in the meanwhile it is 3 minutes difference and every day it will be more,

i don't go outside in winter and i haven't GPS in my living rooms!

Garmin Connect Android or Garmin Express Syncs don't correct the time!

• A way around this is to switch to an outdoor ride profile, get a GPS lock so the time corrects itself, switch back to the indoor profile and do your indoor session.

• i know, but i won't do this every time, to get GPS i have to go with the Edge outside of my livingrooms, we are in 2019, so a device like this can't have a problem with so basic things like that, hope you understand

i understand, when a oldschool device have problems like this, but not a high tec device like the new edge series and i am sure, this prob still exist on all other Edge devices, also on my old Edge 1030

• Yes this is a major pain and often the device ends up days behind and your workouts don't sync at all, or have completely the wrong date and time on them. GPlama had this issue recently and I was hoping he'd do a video on it that would get some attention from Garmin to fix this bug but I don't think he ever did.

The device is supposed to update the time and date when syncing to your phone but doesn't. It's even stated in the manual that it does. As the device has wifi there's no reason they couldn't use ntp as well.

Here's what it says in the manual, including a link

Time Zones

Each time you turn on the device and acquire satellites or sync with your smartphone, the device automatically detects your time zone and the current time of day.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge830/EN-US/GUID-15DC4645-CB16-48CF-9447-80058C7DCA83.html

• Another ugly aspect of the time shifting is a skip in timestamps in the recording as I discovered some time ago (I originally thought it was missing data but after a close look I dscovered that e.g. the position did not move during the "missing" data part):

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/166565/missing-data-in-recording

Happens if you start a ride outside without waiting for a GPS time fix (note this takes longer than position acquisition). When GPS time is later aquired and the clock is synced the timestamps in the recorded file skip some seconds.

• Just noticed that version 2.6 GPS software has a fix which says:

" - Bug fix for time output when GPS is not used for an extended period of time"

Worth a bash, although I would have though a time sync would be in the main software not the GPS bit.

• We are aware of this issue and there will be a fix for this in the next software update.

• that means, GPS 2.60 alone don't solve the prob, it'S firmware related too?

• why should GPS firmware fix a bug that appears when GPS isn't used?
    It is firmware related, the device itself is not able to track time correctly because the hardware dev assumed it is used with GPS to get correct time.
    The software dev did the same, fetching the time via BT was never on the table I believe.

btw:
    Weiter in 5.02 PB nor in 5.03 PB something is mentioned, you will have to wait longer.

• We are aware of this issue and there will be a fix for this in the next software update.

it isn't solved in 5.10 again difference of time!

now 27 days are gone now without a fix, how long it will take to fix a really major problem like this?

my pain cave for winter ndoor rides in the basement of our house have no GPS reception!