This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery drain for 830 when switched off?

The battery lifetime when the device is on is really great. However, when I switch it off completely (i.e. Power off - not sleep!) battery drains completely. I did not remember this behaviour from my Edge 810....

Is there some setting I need to pick? Does the Edge wake up and does some updating in the background? I cannot imagine this, but still would like to know.

• Mine does the same,only a few months old. fully charged and then I switch it off. Just to find a day or two later when I want to use it that its completley dead, black screen, nothing...regardless what buttons I press. Only when I put the powercable on it will show sign of life after a few minutes with cable connected. Otherwise when I have it fully charged and its ok, the batterylife is really impressive even without powersaving mode.

• I have noticed the same, when switching it off, sometimes a powersign stays on the screen and when I have seen this, I think most cases the power has drained off

• Yep, just got a 3rd unit after replacing the first two units due to completely bad elevation tracking, and am now running into this issue with the new unit. Seems like I'm just stuck bouncing between showstopping defects. I've never actually successfully had the new device survive overnight without the battery completely draining.

• Same here. It seems to be all the time since I upgraded to 5.0 from 4.1 firmware. But it was also happening in 4.1

• I had this happen once. I attributed it to accidentally selecting sleep mode instead of power off. Although even sleep mode should not discharge the battery that quick.

• Yes...same experience here. It's really strange. Almost like it's stuck in a loop on the power down function. I turn it back on, then turn it off and it typically shuts off totally. But yes...same behavior quite frequently. 

• join the crowd here. it's happened to me twice as well. the other "feature" makes no sense to me is:

i turn off the gps during charging. when i unplug it, it turns itself on without pushing the on button.

• How are you charging it? I had the same issue a while back when I would charge it from my computer. Matthew from Garmin suggested trying to charge it from the wall, and by golly that worked. 

• And support did not mention - this time - about USB versos the wall for charging. But I am more along the line that even pressing POWER OFF sometimes puts the Edge into sleep mode (and maybe not even the real sleep mode) as the ghost of the power icon remains when I glance at the screen from an angle. Then I have to heold the power down for 10 seconds or so and let the Edge restart and try the POWER OFF again.

• I have exactly the same issue. Now I always check if the power off sign is still there, if yes i need to go through the annoying process of restarting it and then shutting it down again..