This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery drain for 830 when switched off?

The battery lifetime when the device is on is really great. However, when I switch it off completely (i.e. Power off - not sleep!) battery drains completely. I did not remember this behaviour from my Edge 810....

Is there some setting I need to pick? Does the Edge wake up and does some updating in the background? I cannot imagine this, but still would like to know.

• I got the same, even on the the 130. BUT my guess is I missed to really switch off and accidently only switch to sleep.

• You know what I got the same thing this past Saturday. I pressed off and told it to turn off but about an hour later I walked by and it still had that circular powering off icon and it didn't actually turn off. A long press of the power button eventually did reboot it but it seemed it had crashed while shutting off.

• It happened to me twice. I noticed what happens when you turn off the Garmin with wifi on. The two times I synced via wifi and then turned off the device I found it completely drained, while it does not happen if the wifi is turned off when you turn off the garmin.

• I charged mine a night before to 100% , when i power it on in the morning before doing a ride the battery shows 97%, and im very sure i powered it off after charging it to a full 100%. Software bug?

• Thats interesting....for ease of use of course I leave the Wi-Fi on. This would then indeed point to a bug. Expected behaviour if device is powered off is not to do any syncing or connecting in the background...but then it has to wake up to do that??

Anyone else can confirm this?

• I never turn off Wifi. So don't think it is related to

• There's another thread about the battery charge indicating 97% after being fully charged.  AFAIK, those units don't continue to lose charge when powered down.

• Yes! I've noticed this too...when shutting it off, the little power icon stays there...almost like it's stuck powering down. Doesn't happen all the time, but definitely frequently enough. 

• I've definitely had the power run down to 0 when I thought it was shut off but was actually asleep.  Coming from an 800 where this option didn't exist I just pressed the button and thought it was off.  When I turned it on it seemed dead.  After charging for a couple of minutes it came up with a 10% power.  

• I have noticed a number of times when I turn it off, the off switch on the screen stays on.  Have to hold the power button for 15 sec of so to reboot when this happens.  Now I always try to observe that the screen goes completely blank when powering off.  As long as it is truly off, I do not notice any major battery drain.