This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not ready for prime-time-MTB navigation

I've started this discussion about the many frustrations I have with the 830, and hoping some of them were just user-error, since the device is new to me (had a 520+ before it). However, the one MAIN function, NOT feature, a GPS device is for is to, well, navigate someone along a course.

I've tried, and tried, and tried, but have learned that the 830, and perhaps any device like it regardless of brand/model, is just NOT good for trail navigation. I've tried creating (Trailforks) routes with start/stop points at least 200 feet from each other, start navigation 200+ feet into the course, blah, blah - NADA!

I just can't make it tell me to take the correct fork in the trail. I can't make it 'navigate" on a trail.

(sigh)

Thanks for all the help in the other discussion (linked above).

• @lezavw90, do you have "Turn Guidance" enabled? Would you mind sharing your mtb profile and route settings? Does it do this for you, except on a trail? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z771IpF1KWM   Thanks!

Also I believe your corse is what's telling you which fork to take, not Forksight. This is one reason why I'm frustrated with the device. It seems "trail aware" because of Forksight, but I have not been able to successfully navigate well with it on the trial. You're the first person that claims that it does.

• I don't have mt edge with me. Yes I have turn guidance enabled. The course is most definitely telling me which fork to take as I am following a course. The way I understand Forksight to work is that it just zooms in closer when you come to a fork in the trail so you have a zoomed in view. Unless you are following a course forksights not going to tell you which one to take. Also when I'm following a course that I have built and go off course it will navigate me back to my course either by u-turning or taking a different trail. I have found that it works in woods the same as it does on the street. 

• Actually, that's not Forksight; that's just autozoom working as you approach a turn while navigating a course.  Forksight is a different feature that is supposed to pop up a screen when you stop at a trail intersection or fork that shows the name of the two trail options in front of you.  You're supposed to be able to then tap each of the options to get more details (distance, difficulty, etc.) on those trails. 

It has never worked for me.  It's also unclear if it works while navigating or only when not navigating a course.  

• I've never seen a popup with option as you describe. I have seen it zoom out and populate trail names on the map before. Where are you seeing the explanation of the forksight features? I took this wording directly off the Garmin website.

"the new Forksight mode automatically displays upcoming forks in the trail, and gives you context by showing where you are within a trail network"

To me zooming out and showing trail names fits that description.

I would love to see the features you are describing, I think that would be awesome, but I can't find any information that it is supposed to do that.

I also think MTB Navigation is very hard to execute as the gps data that actually mapped the trail is flawed. Most roadways are surveyed and the data for a road is accurate. Half the trails out there (especially where I am) are mapped into Trailforks by some dude with an Iphone. When you combine gps +/- error the Edge could think you are up to 5+meters from a 1 meter wide trail. The gps error also swings even further out when you add in most trails are in the forest on the side of a mountain.

This error is really noticeable when using Climbpro. I have had no luck with Climpro when just creating a route. If I take a route I actually rode and logged myself Climbpro is totally accurate.

• , from the home screen choose your MTB profile and just start riding, don't load a course. When you stop at a fork, a map screen will pop up that's noticeably different from a map screen. Ensure your Trailforks map is enabled.

• If you google "Garmin Edge 830 forksight" you will find it mentioned in various product overviews.  DCRainmaker has a very extensive review of the 830.  He writes:

"The most obvious way the new Trailforks data manifests itself is a feature called ‘ForkSight’, which automatically pops up anytime you pause at an intersection of trails (or, more appropriately – a fork in the trail). It’s at this point it’ll show you the trail options and difficulty grades/distances for each one:

You can then select any of the options shown to get more information about that specific trail. It’s super cool in real-life, and helps you figure out the implications of each option you have."

Not surprisingly (but sadly), it's not mentioned anywhere in the owner's manual.  (Whoever is in charge of writing the manuals for Garmin needs to find a new job.)  As I mentioned, it's never worked for me, but I've been so put off by the trail navigation on the 830 that I've stopped trying to figure it out.  

• While I love DCrainmaker and trust his reviews. That's the only place I have ever seen that wording used. Every other review or overview mirrors what Garmin states on their website, I couldn't find any mention of what Ray mentions when he states 

It’s at this point it’ll show you the trail options and difficulty grades/distances for each one:

At this point we can really only go by what Garmin is officially stating and that's this.

"And when you stop mid-ride, the new Forksight mode automatically displays upcoming forks in the trail, and gives you context by showing where you are within a trail network."

going by exactly what Garmin is stating Forksight is working on my unit. It will zoom out and show an overview of the trail network.

I would love to see trail options with grade, difficulty level and distance.

What's funny is DCrainmaker actually shows a picture of two trails on his test unit? It would be great if someone from Garmin would chime in on this.

I wonder if the trail screen is another page you need to enable as well as the map?

I wish I had my edge with me, there's a trail network right near where I work, I could go test it out. Maybe tomorrow.

• Well, it's a mystery to us all.  What blows my mind is that Garmin puts all this effort into developing new and innovative features, and then fails to adequately explain to its consumers how those features are supposed to work.

I am riding later tonight.  I'll make sure the Trailforks map is enabled and will pay close attention to what happens when I stop at an intersection of trails.  

• I confirmed Trailforks is loaded on the edge 830 and my phone and that forksight is enabled. I see trail names when I'm on the map page, but at no point have I seen a map screen pop up when at a junction. Is this supposed to happen when on a specific page, or should I expect to see it from any current page on the edge? thanks.

• ZillaG - You loaded a Course into your Edge and started your ride so the computer is expecting you to follow the course and not look for alternative routes.  It makes sense to me that it isn't going to show you alternate routes when you've indicated you want to follow a Course.