This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Should I give up on my 830?

I got the 830 and have used it for a couple handfuls of rides. In that time, it has been unreliable. Various things it has done at one point or another (or multiple incidents per ride):

Unable to keep a connection to my sensors (Garmin speed, radar, plus Stages Power) and phone (iPhone XS Max)

'Constantly' losing GPS connection (I have it set to GPS + Galileo).

So, I upgraded the firmware to 3.50, then ...

Device locked up during a ride and I had to 'hard reboot' with the device's keys.

To remedy that I reset the device to factory, then upgraded the firmware to 3.50 and re-paired my devices and phone. That seemed OK for a while, but then during a ride yesterday it rebooted. 

I got the 830 because I wanted the maps that I do not have on my 520, plus the trail forks integration. If it weren't for the Varia integration I probably would have just gone with a Wahoo.

I'm 'torn' because I've been usually pleased with the Garmin devices and they are mostly reliable. Did I just get a 'crap' sample? I can probably exchange it for a replacement but thought I'd see how you guys were getting along with yours. Otherwise I'll return it for a refund and wait until Wahoo can integrate with the radar and move on.

Thanks,

Louis Marchesi

• It is total garbage.  The GPS+Galileo doesnt work at all.  Its way off and in some parts of the world I cant even find the satellites.  Shuts off, when calculating routes.  It autozooms way out after a turn and I cant use it for navigation at all.  Sensors dont work.  It wont stay connected to my phone. power, HR, Shimano Di2, etc. 

The online place I bought it from wont take it back, since its over 30 days since purchase.  How can I get a full refund?  

• This is getting to be a fiasco now, I gingerly bought my 830 on the back of loads of so called professional reviews, stating that Garmin had nailed it ,"This time", my 800 blows this unfinished effort out of the water!

• Just in case you weren't aware, Galileo is completely offline and has been since the end of last week. You've not said how long you've had the device for, but if you've been trying to use it this weekend, it's likely you've been getting all sorts of odd results as a result. I appreciate that Garmin also have some firmware issues to resolve, but a complete outage probably doesn't help matters!

More information here:

www.bbc.co.uk/.../science-environment-48985399

and here:

www.gsc-europa.eu/.../Constellation-Information

• The image with the green line is the absolute best my new 830 can do trying to stay with me on course. As you can see when compared side to side with the red line created by my old 820 last week it's complete garbage. Updated just prior to this ride to the newest beta gps FW but can't see any difference between today's ride and the past few days with the stock FW. It's not even close enough to pick up strava segments. For what it's worth the settings on my 830 are identical to the 820 - every second recording and GPS+Glonass 

• I can't speak for anyone else, all I can say is that mine definitely isn't doing this. Left image is my old Edge 1000, right image my new Edge 830. both devices set to more or less default settings (GPS+GLONASS, smart recording interval) and I'm not running the new, beta GPS firmware:

Yours looks like it's sort-of tracking ok, but with a lateral offset applied. Is this offset consistent across all recorded tracks? Have you tried comparing reported locations when the devices are sat at rest? 

You can also add "Other->GPS Accuracy" and "Other->GPS Signal Strength" to a data screen. This might also give some clues as to what's going on here.

Annoyingly, it looks like the "view satellites" screen has vanished from the 830, which is a shame as it was a quick and easy way to find what the reported lat/long of the device was.

• - The GALILEO system is currently in an outage and has been since Friday. The workaround for the GPS would be to use GPS+GLONASS or GPS Only for the time being.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48985399

https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system-status/Constellation-Information

• The offset is definitely not consistent across all recorded tracks. Some places it tracks great and other places it is offset and then other places it's just completely doing its own thing. 

It only really happens offroad, when on a road ride it tracks pretty decently. 

• Thats not acceptable.  Im in Europe now so I need Galileo and I'm not going to give my data to the Russkies.  

• Interesting indeed. I'd try those couple of data fields and see if they give any useful information. Maybe consider using an app like this to include GPS strength into your FIT file for post-ride analysis?

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/e3f85a7a-7241-4fd1-b6b3-39eddf26ed43

• I'm sure you're being facetious.  GPS, Galileo, and Glonass are all one way.  Satellites transmit signals that your GPS unit picks up.  Your unit cannot and does not transmit anything to the satellites, so none of the satellites have any knowledge of who what or where any user is.