This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes - Edge + watch

Hi all! 

I'm new owner of Edge 830. Before that, I've used my FR935 for bike activities, and every ride increased my Intensity Minutes. Now I'm riding with Edge, without FR935 on my hand. In both cases I always use HR strap. Edge do not increase my Intensity Minutes. What's more - day HR timeline don't shows graph for bike activity. Of course in concrete ride I can see HR graph. On both devices I have Physio TrueUp set on.  Do you have similar behaviour or it's something wrong with my setup? Garmin can't help me... Disappointed

ps. e.g. recovery time from Edge, activity is visible on my FR935.

• I have a Fenix 5 which I wear every day and use an edge 830 for cycling, I wear the watch but don’t record with it when I ride and receive no intensity minutes can some explain to me why or what it is am doing wrong? My HR Strap wouldn’t connect yesterday so I broad cast from my watch to the 830 but still no IM recorded? 

• I am glad I see this comment! 

Just today I reported the following to Garmin: 

1- Vo2 Max from edge 1000 is not syncing correctly to my watch ( As per Garmin documentation it should since only one of them needs to support Physio True Up ) 

2- Move IQ does not detect when I am out cycling and that is the reason why IM give you no points, if MOVE IQ does not detect u are doing an activity then IM wont work 

3- Do and HRV Stress test and if your score is 100, the watch displays a number 10 instead of 100 

• For the same reason I am describing below. If MOVE IQ on the watch does not detect you are doing an activity then IM wont work. 

As a work around you can pair your HR Strap to the watch as well and that way the watch can get a better HR reading and Move IQ "should" trigger. For some weird reason when you are on your bike, the HR sensor on the watch always fails to get proper HR readings. Maybe for the position of your wrist? 

Just today I reported the following to Garmin: 

1- Vo2 Max from edge 1000 is not syncing correctly to my watch ( As per Garmin documentation it should since only one of them needs to support Physio True Up ) 

2- Move IQ does not detect when I am out cycling and that is the reason why IM give you no points, if MOVE IQ does not detect u are doing an activity then IM wont work 

3- Do and HRV Stress test and if your score is 100, the watch displays a number 10 instead of 100 

• Garmin-Matthew

According to your post "Connecting Your Sensors – Best practices" the ANT sensors should allow concurrent connectivity of the sensor to multiple head units (in my case Garmin Edge 830 Software: 4.10 and Garmin Fenix 5X Plus Software: 7.60). So wearing the Garmin Tri HRM why does my sensor stop working with the Fenix or works intermittently? I understand your answer that Intensity Minutes cannot be earned on the Edge 830, however if the sensor is supposed to hold concurrent connection. Why doesn't the watch record my heart rate using the HRM correctly? I make sure that the tri HRM is connected to my Fenix before starting the activity on my Edge 830. After a few minutes the Fenix loses connection to the HRM and cannot be reconnected. 

I just got the Garmin Edge 830 as a birthday gift and about to return it because I do not see any added value here... Before I didn't have to wear my watch riding my bike. Just mounted on my handle bar with HRM strap. I can live with having it in my pocket (because Garmin Edge 830 doesn't allow the I.M. feature)  however the uncomfortable rubbing against my wrist for hours to have the optical sensor read my heart rate compared to the strap is just ridiculous. Forget about the other issues experiencing with not ready software that was rolled out yet again by Garmin. 

I am sure not the only person here getting fed up with spending top quality dollar for beta testing products released to the public. Same experience with Garmin Fenix watch as the Garmin Edge 830. Always waiting for software updates to fix constant issues...

• So I am now convinced that you don’t get IM by just wearing the Fenix 5, I just did a 2 hour ride recording using an edge 830 using HR strap which I also paired to the Fenix 5 which I was wearing but not recording the ride on and not 1 minutes of IM recorded 

If some can enlighten me on how to get this to work that would be great or do I just give up now? 

• So I can into the same problem. If you connect the Garmin HRM to both Garmin 830 and Fenix 5x it loses connection to the Fenix during the activity. I requested an answer from Garmin-Matthew above but no answer yet... According to "Connecting Your Sensors – Best practices" on top of the forum page ant+ connection should allow concurrent connection... But lets be real I have owned my first Fenix since 2015 and it takes them a VERY long time to actually get the software ready for the devices. Lets say Garmin loves to sell BETA products for top dollar. 

The only time I successfully received IM during the activity was wearing my Fenix 5x (not recording the activity) on my wrist which I find extremely uncomfortable and stupid if I am already wearing a $130 HRM. The numbers are way off compared to HRM but you do get some credit... Try to see Physio TrueUp is turned on both devices (Garmin Connect APP, Devices, Garmin 830/Fenix 5, General). I didn't really touch any other setting so maybe just check if you have latest firmware on the devices. 

• You definitely do get intensity minutes from wearing the f5, but using the Edge to record.

I'd recommend checking your HR zones carefully in Garmin Connect (both web and phone versions). There is a long-standing problem with Garmin incorrectly importing HR zones after a firmware update (especially if you use LTHR as your zone method) - as a FW  update for the F5 has been released in the last couple of days - pretty much as the dip in IM shows up in the graph.

• The dip in the graph is when i stopped ridding for 10 minutes and then started again i checked the IM before i went for a ride and it was 203 when i got back after a 2 hour 50km ride wearing the F5 on my wrist and i sync the watch still 203 IM 

Both my F5 and 830 are running the latest firmware, my heart rate zones are setup the same on both the F5 and 830 and Physio TrueUp is turned on for both

i can go for a walk to buy lunch and i get IM so i know the system works correctly, i think in my opinion Garmin has set it up in Garmin connect to cancel any IM if you record an activity using an edge device who knows why? the strange thing is people say it works

and 1 of the gents i road with last night forgot to record his ride and was wearing his F5 and got 130 IM for it 

• I do wear my forerunner 945 ALL THE TIME, even to sleep to record my sleep patterns. I found the Edge 830 sometimes records the intensity and other times it doesn't ... It is very annoying. Someone told me to start the activity on both and just cancel de activity on the watch at the end.. I believe it works. But GARMIN should sync the 2 of them... 

• Really? Pretty sure my Edge 820 used to work for intensity minutes