This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Power bank charging

My 820 battery life isn't horrendous but for really long rides it isn't good enough so I want to be able to carry an external power bank to support it or top up as needed. 

I've searched these forums for recommendations and ordered an Anker 10k mah but the device doesn't respond at all when I connect it. 

I also have a second power bank, same thing no response.

Having tried half a dozen different cables, some power only, I plugged it into a computer and it responded immediately.

Question - is there a setting that stops it charging from a power bank but not a plug or computer?? 

Any advice appreciated as it has me baffled.

TIA

• Yep.  No question the 530 and 830 are way better than the 820 battery-wise.  I'm just tired of Garmin's buggy software. I'm running 11.2 on my 820 as things seemed to go even further sideways after that.  Every new Edge I got was a whole new can of worms. I don't need or want all the fancy features.  I'd just like reliable core functionality.  Yeah, I thought about putting a new battery in the 820, but it'll still have a crappy display, and I'm skeptical an aftermarket battery would be much of an improvement. Using the battery bank is working OK as I can run the display at 100%.   After 12 years with Edge units, starting with the 705, it might be time to move on.

• I've been using this power bank setup regularly on my mtb and a on few road rides.  It's been working very well in that I can run all features and 100% brightness on the screen with no danger of running low on battery.   With the power bank connected to the Edge, I can plug the charger into the power bank and it will charge both the power bank and Edge.  Garmin has introduced the 1040 so I expect it's likely something like an 840 and 540 will follow.  Checking the 1040 forum, it looks like the typical bug laden Garmin intro, so not something I'd rush into.  The 10XX devices are bigger than I want on my bars anyway.