This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I think the internal memory on my Edge 810 is corrupted

Everytime i start my Edge 810 it resets all the settings.

When i connect to a PC it isn't recognized in Garmin Connect, but i can see the internal memory on the Windows Explorer but all i get is some weird symbols, i can't acess any data.

I tried factory reset and it didn't help. I went to the diagnostics screen and both RAM and ROM passed the check.

The memory card functions properly, I can see and acess the memory card data in windows explorer just fine, and all the Garmin functions work, it can record a track (to memory card) just fine. But if i shut it down because the internal memory isn't working when i boot it again all the settings are gone.

Is there any way to "format" the internal memory? Can i do it in windows?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• this is what i can see in windows explorer, i can add a file to it just fine. I can't acess any of those files with the weird symbols.

I'm wondering if i just added the files manually from some other edge 810 if it worked.

• it's solved, i just format the thing, and when i restarted, it all works fine.

• Fine - you solved it!
    (did you really „format F:“ with your device? You've got guts!)

Usually you can check and repair the file system with following command (PC only):
    chkdsk F: /f    (Where F: is the Edge‘s drive letter and /f means to repair problems)

• i did in windows, it's just the internal memory, doesn't affect the BIOS where the firmware is installed, it's completely irrelevant for the unit operation (i know this know), when you restart it replaces the folders you erased without your data of course

The problem was it uses internal memory exclusively to save your settings (stays in ram when it's on but if the internal memory is corrupt when you shutdown it has nowhere to go), that's why it keept reseting everytime i restarted

i did the chkdsk F: /f  but solved nothing for me.

• all such a device has a hidden storage where the original files are stored and if the main storage is formatted or all files are deleted, the system can be rebuilt by itself after a power on. 

once one of my friend got a very dangerous computer virus/trojan on his computer and it infected his 510 but not only the main storage, the hidden storage was infected too (and everytime after a full format, the virus copied from hidden storage to the main one), he needed to go a Garmin dealer who has a spec software tool to access to this hidden storage/partition and they could delete the trojan finally... :) 

sometimes a full format (so not quick format) is helpful due to the storage could have "bad sectors" as time goes by and the full format can recognize these bad memory addresses and will ignore them in the future (and You wont get sudden freeze/reboot when the device reach and would like to write to these addresses, it will skip it and write to the next healthy one)