This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I recover rides discarded by mistake?

I think I know the answer but...

At a coffee stop fumbling with my Garmin while paying for some coffee I seem to have discarded the ride up to that point.

My stupid fault but is there a trash bin folder to recover discarded ride data?

Nick

• Possible, but to minimize corruption, you should power off your edge ASAP and don't do anything with it until you're ready to try one of the recovery tools. The longer you keep using it, the greater the chance that your activity will be overwritten. 

Retrieving Activity discarded or deleted

• Thanks - I’ll give it a go. Unfortunately I recorded the remainder of the ride so it may be too late. 

• For anyone else with this issue, I managed to recover a Garmin activity file that I accidentally discarded rather than saved after a ride by using testdisk and a fit recovery service at http://garmin.stevegordon.co.uk/

I am using Ubuntu, but testdisk is also available for Windows and Macs

The discarded file was a deleted file in /Garmin/Activities on the Edge unit rather than on the SD Card where my activities are normally saved.

sudo testdisk
    # When prompted selected Disk /dev/sda and [Proceed]
    # When prompted selected partition table type None
    # When Partition displayed. selected [Undelete]
    # Went to directory/Garmin/Activities
    # found deleted file named 2021-11-30-09059-57.fit
    # Pressed c to copy current file
    # When prompted selected ~/tmp
    # file copied OK

The recovered file would not import into MyTourBook, which gave a failed fit integrity test error. Passing the fit file through Steve Gordons's online recovery gave me a gpx which imported with just the last half a kilometre missing.