This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Yellow tint on the screen

Hi,

For some time, my Edge 820 is getting a yellow tint on the screen which is more visible when it is off or when is using a dark background. I can see there is even an article related to this issue here. 

Garmin support is asking me send it to South Africa which is a little far away for Covid epoch when parcels seems to get some real delays in their transit (as a note, I'm located in Europe). 

I am also not sure if this should be a warranty claim or not, they are asking about invoice which I don't have, but having this article on their site I can guess there is a factory problem or product development that can get into this because of poor design. 

Curious if anyone here involved in this and how it went through. 

Regards,

Alex

• I have been following this forum since inception but that's one I don't recall seeing.  There is the well known "halo" issue that was pretty common on earlier 820s.  That's a grey cloudiness that starts encroaching on the screen from its edges.  I had a unit that did that and it was replaced by Garmin.  Newer units (including the replacement I got) don't seem to have that problem.   Yours is a distinct yellowing across the entire screen? 

I'm in the US so only have some experience with how Garmin handles issues like these here.

• Hi, mine is like having the center until almost edges of the screen in a yellowish tint. It can be seen with a dark background seeing that the background has this tint. I am also wondering if it is the same as the defect described in Garmin site or not. 

Also as my unit is out of warranty, waiting for their reply about the costs because if total costs are like 200 Euro (repair + shipping) then I might be adding more and getting the 830 or 530 which I don't know if it's more robust or not.

Also the battery seems not to last more than 7-9 hours in GPS only mode with default settings from either 12.x or 11.2 firmware version. 

• What you describe sounds different than the screen halo problem.  The screen halo on mine got worse over time but never so bad as to make the device unusable. 

7-9 hrs is about what the 820 gets, depending on sensors, BT, wifi, etc..  I get about 9 hrs with 11.2,  GPS only and ANT+ power, cadence, heart rate, and BT connection to the phone.

An 830 will have much better battery life, display and touch screen.  But FWIW, whenever I've upgraded to a new model Edge, I always found it to be a new and different can of worms...some things better, other things worse.  Check out Garmin's 830 forum to see what's going on there.

• Then, in this case, it would be more efficient for me to keep it like this and forget about investing any money something that is not going to help me in any way to perform better. Now I also have the Fenix 6 Pro which I prefer for tracking the entire ride and maybe I'll use it to route me when necessary (usually I go on known roads or just try to find my way through forests paths until I get out of it in a town). So Edge is more for convenient way to see speed, power, gradient, time than looking at Fenix on my wrist.