This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Remaining distance and instructions disappear during a long trip (Garmin Edge 820 + 12.50) and slow overall performance

I have and Garmin Edge 820 for about three years (it was replaced after two years when the the charging connector broke). I bought it because of the navigation capabilities and since I bought I have received many many software updates. Most if not all of these updates seem to address support for exotic features. Why did Garmin never improve the overall navigation performance?

My problems are:

1. In general it is actually too slow, sometimes I miss a turn to the right because the navigation is lagging 100 meters behind.

2. Yesterday I did a trip of 230 KM, I prepared the GPX file in Basecamp and it worked fine for the first 100K but after that, the remaining distance (which I have as one of the two fields in the map screen) was replaced by the total distance of 230 K, the "white arrow" instructions were gone and the text instructions in the top froze to a sentence like "turn right after 150 meter". I restarted the navigation four times and each time it worked for 5-10 minutes but then the same problem occurred.

3. Touch screen of both the original and replacement device are not very responsive. This seem to have improved for the 830.

Is it possible to do a reset the device without loosing my settings? Does this help to improve performance?

Does it help if I clean up data?

@Garmin: please prioritise navigation and battery life over all the other features!

• A reset may help.  There are two levels but I always do a full reset.  Back up your course files and activity files to your computer.  Below is a table from Garmin on saving settings.  I save the contents of the Courses, Records, Settings, Sports, and Totals folders to reinstitute on the 820 after the reset. You still will need to go in and manually set many preferences, like touch sensitivity, screen brightness/timeout, navigation preferences, etc....

Other things you might try are dividing longer courses into two or more shorter courses, or reverting to 11.20 firmware.  If you revert to 11.20, you can save your info and settings in the same as when doing a reset.

You can go through the menus to do a reset or:

1. Turn device off
    2. Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    3. Press and release the power button
    4. Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    5. Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared

Saving settings for before reset

Folder Name

Contains

Copy  contents of this folder to new unit folder:

Activities

Activities