This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

larger routes and navigation

Hi Community

I create routes in Strava, export as GPX and load manually into Edge 820. This works fine for routes up to about 100 km, but not for larger ones:

• I wait until the route is computed, but the Edge starts computing again after the start.
  • Sometimes it computes for half an hour while cycling. When it reaches 98% it starts all over at 0%.
  • While it computes it doesn't indicate directions.
  • However, it alerts about deviations from the route, but without showing new directions.
  • Sometimes this happens during the whole route which makes the navigation function completely useless.
  • Sometimes it starts showing directions 20 km prior to the end of the course.
  • Recording always works, as does displaying parameters.
  • All maps are the default ones, all software and map updates done.

Questions:

• Do I do something wrong?
  • Is this normal behavior for routes > 100 km and Edge 820?
  • Do I have to buy an Edge 830?
  • Does anybody have experience with Edge 830 and larger routes?

Thanks for any hint. Mar5us.

• Just to eliminate possible sources of problems: try creating your route on ridewithgps (using OSM view in the route planner) - and download file as a fit file for your 820.

If this is no good, try downgrading to firmware 11.20 (see looigi's posts on this site). This totally refreshed my 820 & speeded up route calculation.

I'm tempted by the 830's longer (apparently) battery life - but will wait 9mo or a year or so after the 830's first production for Garmin to thoroughly debug it & sort out any hardware issues (I read - inaccurate GPS maybe). The early 820s had touchscreen problems.

• Thank you, yes, I will try that.

But I don't like downgrades. Is Garmin reading this forum? Hope they will provide another fix.

What I really don't hope is that they did this by purpose to motivate people buying new gear.

• One thing you might try is a factory reset of your 830.  Some errors may have accumulated that a factory reset may clear. 

You might also check the memory isn't getting full.  It's unlikely, but if it is, you might delete rides already uploaded and saved elsewhere, and delete courses you don't use.

I haven't had issues with longer course recently, but years ago on earlier Edge devices I did.  I would divide long courses into several shorter courses that would load quickly and without problems. 

• Thank you, memory is not an issue, but I'll try the factory reset before I buy a new one.

• I think I have the same or at least a similar problem and just posted a question on it (https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-820/232061/remaining-distance-and-instructions-disappear-during-a-long-trip-garmin-edge-820-12-50-and-slow-overall-performance). My experience was also for a long trip (230 K), the problem occurred only after about 100K. Recording works fine, the map still shows the purple track to manually navigate on. I do not get directions at all, never saw a direction 20 km prior to the end of the course. Mine does not recompute but acts nervous for the slightest deviation and gives up immediately.

• Hard reset didn't help. Same issue: during 80km the device was calculating, then for the last 20k it showed garbage.

The good thing is, because I know the Edge won't work, I try to memorize the whole route. And that's working pretty well.

I really don't hope Garmin did that by purpose with the last upgrade to make people buy the new 1030 plus.

• I've never had much luck with Strava routes. They create to many points. I use Plotaroute and reduce the number of points to about 1000. Never had a problem even with a 100+ mile routes. 

• Now I created a route with Garmin Connect but no success. 100m after the start it was clear the device won't work again. Usual thing: Calculating for 4 hours (!) and then displaying rubbish for the rest of the route.

So it is not the route planner and not some weird device setting. It is just the device not working with the latest firmware. 

The Edge 820 is completely useless for navigating larger routes.

• As I’ve said before - mine works perfectly for routes of 100miles or so. I commonly use it for routes of 65 miles. Either you device has a problem and you should contact Garmin or you have some strange settings or odd route parameters. 
    nick

• I really don't hope Garmin did that by purpose with the last upgrade to make people buy the new 1030 plus.

No, they did not.

It's not like there are many people having the same problem you are. If they did it "on purpose", you'd be hearing many more people complaining about the problem that just you.

======================

Your description sounds like the device can't associate the track with the roads on the map.

The way these devices calculate a route is by "walking" the track and seeing what near-by roads the track appears to follow. 

Using OSM maps to create the route is a good idea (most route planners have that option).

Maybe, provide a link to one of the routes that you are having a problem with.