This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 800 loading gpx files

I came across a used Edge 800 and I wanted something for just turn by turn when downloading and following the GPX files without pulling out the phone. I loaded a few of the GPX files from MTB project of trails I wanted to do and most of them went in as a GPX and made a copy of the file as .FIT (but very small file size). The ones that it made a copy of FIT would show up in the "Course" folder, but the files that didn't add FIT didn't. I don't really know what I did different, I took the SD card out, put the files in the course folder on the card while in the computer, and back into the Garmin. Ideas?

• Have a look in the file structure on the Edge/Card and  trying putting the GPX file in the NewFiles folder. That is the location where data to be imported should be placed. The Edge will then move it to the correct location and covert it it if required.

• It looks like you are copying the gpx files to the NewFiles folder. 

If a fit files isn’t being created in the Courses folder, it means the format of the gpx file isn’t correct (it’s not in a format the Edge is able to convert from).

One approach is to convert the gpx file to a gpx file.

You can use the GPSBabel option (in the menu at the top) at the following:

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Note that the name of the course (and the fit file that is created) is taken from the name inside the gpx file (not from the name of the gpx file). Only the first 15 letters ate used). If first 15 letters are the same as an existing court we, the existing course is replaced. 

• Thanks guys, I think I have figured it out.  For some reason when the card is in it doesn't convert, when the card is out it does.  I made sure I was putting in the "New Files" folder in the unit itself both times.  Just one of those things, but working fine now

• Odd. The card thing makes no sense.

By the way, the 800 is a great unit.