This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FW 12.1 battery drain

After update to 12.1 the device drains buttery faster. 20/30 % faster than before. i could ride for 9//10 hours and now at max 7 hours device is dead. is it possible to fix this issue?

• 6-7 hours would be also the max now for me

• Yes, same problem with at new Edge 820 (third unit on warranty) And also, the battery seems to drain totally after a day on standby. Before I could forget to turn it off, and after 4-5 days there would still be battery when turned on.

• I'm also in the same boat. I'm lucky to get two hours if using navigation, 4 hours without. I ride long distances so this unit is useless now.

• Hi, with v 12.10 my edge 820 battery went down to 40% in 4 and a half hours with the speed & cadence (gsc10) and heart rate sensors. With v 11.20 went down to 60% in 5 and a half hours with  the speed, power meter, heart rate sensors and smartphone connected via Bluetooth for display smart notifications. That's all.

• Yes today again. 2.5 hours outdoor cycling. No navigation, only data recording. From 100% ti 52%. Before the firmware it would have been around 75+ %. So something is wrong. The unit is 5 months old. Bluetooth was not enabled btw...

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

We have to hope the new version solve the battery drain. Garmin has released the 12.22 beta version. 

• Having experienced apparent battery drain with 12.1 I have also noticed that, if I put the device to sleep and then come back to it later the battery has recovered by more that 5%. This leads me to think that it’s the % reading of the battery rather than the actual capacity reducing? Don’t similar issues get reported when phone firmwares are updated - the solution often given then is to allow the battery to drain completely down to shut off and then charge to 100% to give the firmware a chance to recalibrate. I have no idea If this will work but could be worth a try? 

• I wrote again to garmin and they suggested me an hard reset. I did it and I tried my garmin after that but the result was the same. 6.5 max 7 hours battery. so I downloaded the FW 11.20 (not from Garmin because they confirmed they do not send older FW, so I found it on an unofficial website) and I tried again my garmin. the result was 10 hours riding with it. next time garmin send out an update I will wait sometime for feedbacks before to install it.

• Anyone tried 12..22 ?

• I'm testing the 12.22...no change unfortunately...i'm thinking to downgrade to the old firmware